Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy is a small nursing home located in Mount Airy, Maryland. This nursing home received an A- overall, which is very favorable score. Based on our analysis, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. This nursing home also received consistently good ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
705 Midway Avenue,
Mount Airy MD 21771
83.06% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in our short-term care category, where it received an A. Our short-term care ratings are arguably more meaningful for patients needing a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and occupational therapy, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections recently. We gave them an impressive grade of A- in this area. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the third category, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are kept in good health. Once we concluded our assessment of the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In the final category, we awarded this nursing home a A- for its nursing rating. This completed a very favorable profile. The nursing score assesses several data points, but the main consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 10.18% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 92.14% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Some would argue that this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.12 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- Frederick Health HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.27 miles away400 West Seventh St Frederick Maryland 21701Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 566-3300
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.73 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.73 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.58 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.07 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.63 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis0.56 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Fresenius Kidney Care Germantown12.92 miles away19851 Obersavtion Drive Suite 150 Germantown Maryland 20876Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 540-7010
- Germantown Dialysis13.98 miles away20111 Century Blvd Ste C Germantown Maryland 20874CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 540-4601
- Ballenger Creek Dialysis14.17 miles away5205 Chairmans Court Ste. 101 Frederick Maryland 21703CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 662-6572
- Davita - Frederick14.33 miles away140 Thomas Johnson Dr Ste 100 Frederick Maryland 21702CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 695-0900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Frederick14.34 miles away163 Thomas Johnson Drive Ste C Frederick Maryland 21702Dialysis Stations: 13 (240) 815-6845
- Davita - Middlebrook Dialysis14.59 miles away12401 Middlebrook Rd Ste 160 Germantown Maryland 20874Dialysis Stations: 19 (301) 540-6020
- Carroll County Dialysis15.95 miles away193 Stoner Ave Suite 120 Westminster Maryland 21157CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 871-1762