Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy is a small nursing home located in Mount Airy, Maryland. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is very favorable score. This nursing home truly has plenty of good features. We were also pleased to find that this facility did not have any bad scores in any of the major categories. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall score, we gave this nursing home an A for our short-term care grade. Our short-term care ratings are presumably more critical for people needing rehabilitation services. Rehabilitation typically requires additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes not just nursing services, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from this nursing home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it earned a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. This place received 8 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor dings are not something to panic about.
Does this page answer your questions about Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. Nursing ratings are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final category, this nursing home was awarded a decent long-term care grade. Although this isn't quite as elite as many of its other grades, this is still nothing to be ashamed of. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live as opposed to rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is better than most nursing homes. This facility was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 10.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 2.83% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 13.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, such as dementia. Unfortunately, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 14.71% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 10.05% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who are showing signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 92.62% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 19.85% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath. Some experts argue that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 30.15% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is critical to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 30.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 8.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lorien Health Systems Mt Airy, 73.77% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Holy Cross Germantown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.12 miles away19801 Observation Drive Germantown Maryland 20876Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 557-6020
- Frederick Health HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.27 miles away400 West Seventh St Frederick Maryland 21701Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 566-3300
- Medstar Montgomery Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.73 miles away18101 Prince Philip Drive Olney Maryland 20832Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 774-8882
- Carroll Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.73 miles away200 Memorial Avenue Westminster Maryland 21157Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 848-3000
- Howard County General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.58 miles away5755 Cedar Lane Columbia Maryland 21044Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 740-7890
- Adventist Healthcare Shady Grove Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.07 miles away9901 Medical Center Drive Rockville Maryland 20850Voluntary non-profit - Private(240) 826-6527
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.63 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Davita Ridge Road Dialysis0.56 miles away530 E Ridgeville Blvd Mount Airy Maryland 21771Dialysis Stations: 13 (301) 829-5162
- Fresenius Kidney Care Germantown12.92 miles away19851 Obersavtion Drive Suite 150 Germantown Maryland 20876Dialysis Stations: 15 (301) 540-7010
- Germantown Dialysis13.98 miles away20111 Century Blvd Ste C Germantown Maryland 20874CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (301) 540-4601
- Ballenger Creek Dialysis14.17 miles away5205 Chairmans Court Ste. 101 Frederick Maryland 21703CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 662-6572
- Davita - Frederick14.33 miles away140 Thomas Johnson Dr Ste 100 Frederick Maryland 21702CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 695-0900
- Fresenius Kidney Care Frederick14.34 miles away163 Thomas Johnson Drive Ste C Frederick Maryland 21702Dialysis Stations: 13 (240) 815-6845
- Davita - Middlebrook Dialysis14.59 miles away12401 Middlebrook Rd Ste 160 Germantown Maryland 20874Dialysis Stations: 19 (301) 540-6020
- Carroll County Dialysis15.95 miles away193 Stoner Ave Suite 120 Westminster Maryland 21157CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 871-1762