Long Island State Veterans Home is a very-large government-owned facility in Stony Brook, New York. This facility received an uninspiring overall grade of D in our grading scheme. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Stony Brook. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Long Island State Veterans Home
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Long Island State Veterans Home has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Hospice
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While we gave this nursing home a bad overall rating, we actually gave it a somewhat respectable grade in the category of inspections, where it received a B-. This was quite a bit better than its other category grades. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility an B-. We weighed the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in calculating our score in this area. This place provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Long Island State Veterans Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B-. Short-term care grades are typically employed to gauge a facility's performance with rehabilitation To have good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Unfortunately, this facility was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 3.5 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the fourth category, this facility was given a B- in long-term care, which we consider to be an acceptable score. With our long-term care assessment, we analyze the volume of care offered by a nursing home, along with a handful of quality data points. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. We were somewhat surprised to discover that this facility vaccinated just 90.63415 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Long Island State Veterans Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this statistic could also be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term care patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 13.6% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 91.89% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Long Island State Veterans Home, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- John T Mather Memorial Hospital of Port JeffersonAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away75 North Country Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 473-1320
- St Charles HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.94 miles away200 Belle Terre Road Port Jefferson New York 11777Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 474-6000
- St Catherine of Siena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away50 Route 25a Smithtown New York 11787Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 862-3000
- Long Island Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.1 miles away101 Hospital Road Patchogue New York 11772Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 654-7100
- Pilgrim Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 11.68 miles away998 Crooked Hill Road Brentwood New York 11717Government - State(631) 761-3500
- Southside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.47 miles away301 East Main Street Bay Shore New York 11706Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 968-3000
- Huntington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.99 miles away270 Park Avenue Huntington New York 11743Voluntary non-profit - Private(631) 351-2000
- Good Samaritan Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.38 miles away1000 Montauk Highway West Islip New York 11795Voluntary non-profit - Church(631) 376-3000
- Stony Brook Kidney Center, Dci1.22 miles away26 Research Way East Setauket New York 11733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (631) 444-0502
- Fms-Central Suffolk Akc3.41 miles away5225 Nesconset Highway Unit #72 - Bldg.9 Port Jefferson Station New York 11776CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 331-5600
- Coram Dialysis Center3.5 miles away1500 Middle Country Road Centereach New York 11720Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 716-8758
- St. Catherine of Siena Med. Ctr6.41 miles away50 Route 25a Dialysis Unit Smithtown New York 11787CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (631) 862-3707
- Davita Medford Kidney Center7.48 miles away1725 North Ocean Avenue Medford New York 11763CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (631) 289-8000
- Hauppauge Dialysis Center8.96 miles away30 Central Avenue Hauppauge New York 11788CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (631) 761-6605
- Long Island Community Hospital10.83 miles away109 West Main Street Dialysis Satellite Patchogue New York 11772CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (631) 687-2828
- Island Rehabilitative Services - Commack11.03 miles away68 Hauppauge Road Commack New York 11725CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (631) 715-2740