Long Island Care Center is in Flushing, New York, a city with 219,342 people. It looks like this facility is a well below average nursing home. A score in this range suggests we found a few red flags. Not surprisingly, this is rated as one of the five worst rated nursing homes in Flushing based on the data we assessed. With many other nursing homes in the city, you should be able to do better. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's profile is its impressive inspection reports. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Long Island Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall grade, it received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that category with a grade of A+. Our inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. You should avoid places with a bunch of deficiencies flagged. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this place still had a relatively favorable report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second best area came in the area of long-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a B-. For patients in need of a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the factors we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to just 81.51986 percent of its patients. On a more positive note, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Long Island Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home ended up receiving a a very poor score in our short-term care category. It received an F in this area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Considering its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 4.7 percent of its patients returning home. This was quite a bit below average.
The final category we assessed is nursing, where this facility was given a very poor grade in this area also. We gave it a lowly F in this area, which is obviously a major concern. There are a host of data points within this area. Most of these factors reflect nurse staffing. This nursing home offered a meager 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing scores. This facility performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Long Island Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Long Island Care Center, 9.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Long Island Care Center, 3.04% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents that sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Long Island Care Center, 2.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Long Island Care Center, 11.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Long Island Care Center, 13.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Long Island Care Center, 13.6% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients exhibiting depressive symptoms. High levels of depression may reveal lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Long Island Care Center, 91.89% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Long Island Care Center, 14.66% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Long Island Care Center, 18.82% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Long Island Care Center, 1.2 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Long Island Care Center, 18.82 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Long Island Care Center, 8.77 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Long Island Care Center, 74.71% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Flushing, NY
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Flushing, New York has 10 other nursing homes
- Creedmoor Psychiatric CenterPsychiatric 2.49 miles away80-45 Winchester Blvd Bldg B Queens Village New York 11427Government - State(718) 264-4000
- North Shore University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away300 Community Drive Manhasset New York 11030Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 562-0100
- Flushing Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away45th Avenue and Parsons Boulevard Flushing New York 11355Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 670-5000
- St Francis Hospital, RoslynAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away100 Port Washington Boulevard Roslyn New York 11576Voluntary non-profit - Church(516) 562-6000
- Queens Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.83 miles away82-68 164th Street Jamaica New York 11432Government - Local(718) 883-3000
- Nyu Winthrop HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away259 First Street Mineola New York 11501Voluntary non-profit - Private(516) 663-0333
- Jamaica Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away89th Avenue and Van Wyck Expressway Richmond Hill New York 11418Voluntary non-profit - Private(718) 262-6000
- Elmhurst Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.34 miles away79-01 Broadway Elmhurst New York 11373Government - Local(718) 334-1141
- Fms-Bayside Dialysis Center1.97 miles away201-10 Northern Boulevard Bayside New York 11361CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (718) 423-6638
- Davita Clearview Dialysis2.05 miles away4560 Francis Lewis Blvd Bayside New York 11361Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 224-2398
- The Rogosin Institute Auburndale Dialysis2.42 miles away39-20 Utopia Parkway Flushing New York 11358CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (347) 783-7700
- Davita Julia and Israel Waldbaum Dialysis2.5 miles away100 Community Drive Waldbaum Dialysis Center Great Neck New York 11021CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (516) 465-8250
- Lij Satellite Dialysis Facility3.12 miles away220-22 Hillside Avenue Queens Village New York 11427CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (718) 975-1300
- Vestal Healthcare LLC3.19 miles away176-35 Union Turnpike Fresh Meadows New York 11366Dialysis Stations: 1 (718) 969-3293
- Trude Weishaupt Memorial Dialysis Center3.19 miles away@ New York Hospital of Queens 59-28 174th Street Fresh Meadows New York 11365CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (718) 670-1276
- Queens Dialysis at the Pavilion, LLC3.83 miles away36-17 Parsons Blvd Flushing New York 11354Dialysis Stations: 12 (718) 888-5200