Long Beach Post Acute is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Long Beach, California. This turns out to be an A rated facility. It was given one of the best ratings that we offer. A grade in this range requires top-notch marks across the board. Not surprisingly, this turned out to be the highest rated facility in the city. Headlining this place's exemplary report card is its long-term care rating, which is addressed in the next section.
Long Beach Post Acute
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate facility overall, this nursing home also excelled in long-term care, where it received an A+. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in long-term care it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. After assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility an A. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Long Beach Post Acute?
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Inspection ratings are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we assessed was short-term care. This nursing home received a strong nursing grade this year, with a B. While this wasn't as elite as several of its other category grades, this remains one of the more favorable scores in this area. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final item we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Long Beach Post Acute Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Long Beach Post Acute, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Long Beach Post Acute, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Long Beach Post Acute, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Long Beach Post Acute, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Long Beach Post Acute, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Long Beach Post Acute, 4.64% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Long Beach Post Acute, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Long Beach Post Acute, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Long Beach Post Acute, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Long Beach Post Acute, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Long Beach Post Acute, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Long Beach Post Acute, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Long Beach Post Acute, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.85 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.87 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 10.11 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.14 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center0.69 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis0.76 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Fmc-Long Beach1.76 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.24 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.29 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center2.46 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-United Dialysis Center3.93 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis3.93 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403