Long Beach Healthcare Center is a large nursing home located in Long Beach, California. This nursing home was given an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the pack grade. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Long Beach, which is a B-. You should also take a look at this facility's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Long Beach Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We want to note that this nursing home received favorable marks in the area of short-term care this year. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a grade of B. This proved to be the facility's top grade and helped its profile overall. In the category of short-term care, we seek to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This facility's second best category was its nursing grade, where it received a grade of B-. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses employed by the facility, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses were with patients, in computing our grade in this category. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Finally, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Long Beach Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third best area we gave this nursing home in any category came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of B-. For prospective residents in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care is an important category. After we finished assessing the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination data. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Unfortunately, this facility did not receive a favorable inspection grade. We gave it a grade of just just D in this category. Inspection ratings relate to a nursing home's government inspections. We weight poor inspection ratings heavily in our assessment. Since government inspection reports are compiled by independent inspectors, we consider this information to be very reliable. One of the most critical factors in evaluating inspection reports is deficiencies. We would pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed a category J through K deficiency, which rank among the worst deficiencies. These categories mean that the government inspectors uncovered a deficiency which places resident health or safety in immediate jeopardy. Finally, we also want to point out that this place was assessed large government fines in recent years totaling over $100,000. This usually indicates that a nursing home's poor performance has been an issue for several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Long Beach Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Long Beach Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.88 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.78 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.45 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.82 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.34 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.53 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center0.55 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-United Dialysis Center1.17 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis1.17 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.3 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis2.6 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis2.8 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis2.82 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.98 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010