Long Beach Care Center is in Long Beach, California, which offers a variety of nursing homes. We gave this nursing home a C overall, which isn't a bad grade. This is comparable with the city grade in Long Beach, which is a B-. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse nursing homes out there. The best part of this facility's profile was is its inspection reports. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Long Beach Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall grade, we also would like to point out that this place earned favorable health inspections in recent years. We gave it one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This is a notably better score than the facility's overall grade. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some are quite minor. Fortunately, although this nursing home had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also would like to draw your attention to the fact that this facility was awarded positive long-term care marks this year. We awarded them one of our more favorable scores in that category, with a grade of B. This proved to be the nursing home's second best score. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Long Beach Care Center?
The next highest grade we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of nursing, where we gave it a grade of B-. Our nursing score features many datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the number of hours nurses spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive area was short-term care, which is the final category we scored. We gave it an F for this area. Despite some decent grades in other categories, this grade is nevertheless disappointing so we felt obligated to make a note of it. In forming these short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to formulate a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Based on its weak rating in this category, we were not surprised to discover this place offered substantially fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Long Beach Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Long Beach Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Long Beach Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Long Beach Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Long Beach Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Long Beach Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Long Beach Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Long Beach Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Long Beach Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Long Beach Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who maintained mobility.
In Long Beach Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Long Beach Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Long Beach Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Long Beach Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.69 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.84 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.8 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.58 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.7 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 9.03 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis0.16 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis0.42 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center2.08 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center2.51 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis2.76 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-Lakewood Dialysis Center2.97 miles away4611 Silva Street Lakewood California 90712CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (562) 633-7441
- Davita Mayfair Dialysis3.08 miles away4930 Paramount Blvd Lakewood California 90712Dialysis Stations: 36 (424) 296-6870
- Davita-United Dialysis Center3.28 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155