Located in Baltimore, Maryland, FutureCare Lochearn is one of 27 nursing homes in the city. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is one of our better grades. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top 25 percent of all nursing homes in the nation. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
With an overall grade this high, it should come as no surprise that this nursing home excelled in inspections, where it received an A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. While this facility had a few minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was awarded a very impressive short-term care grade. In fact, this turned out to be this facility's second best category grade. In that category, this facility received a grade of A. Our short-term care ratings are arguably most meaningful for patients in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. This means not just nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this category is the number of residents who returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about FutureCare Lochearn?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B+ for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. The nursing grade assesses many factors, but the paramount one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning a resident more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The fourth category we assessed was long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B+. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. Few nursing homes received a B+ or higher in each of our categories. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 89.38907 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which happens to be a bit lower than we were hoping for but still a respectable figure. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
FutureCare Lochearn Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In FutureCare Lochearn, 10.24% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In FutureCare Lochearn, 2.73% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In FutureCare Lochearn, 2.07% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percentage of long-term patients who experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In FutureCare Lochearn, 13.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In FutureCare Lochearn, 14.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally used to treat patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In FutureCare Lochearn, 10.18% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In FutureCare Lochearn, 92.14% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In FutureCare Lochearn, 19.83% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In FutureCare Lochearn, 28.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In FutureCare Lochearn, 1.1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In FutureCare Lochearn, 28.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In FutureCare Lochearn, 8.93 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In FutureCare Lochearn, 74.3% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Baltimore, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Baltimore, Maryland has 26 other nursing homes
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Northwest Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.12 miles away5401 Old Court Road Randallstown Maryland 21133Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 521-2200
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.92 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.01 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- Saint Agnes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away900 Caton Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21229Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 368-2101
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Greater Baltimore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.52 miles away6701 North Charles Street Towson Maryland 21204Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 849-2000
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.86 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Seton Drive Dialysis0.04 miles away4800 Seton Drive Baltimore Maryland 21215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (410) 585-0446
- Greenspring Dialysis Center0.27 miles away4701 Mt Hope Dr Ste C Baltimore Maryland 21215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (410) 585-0467
- Pikesville Dialysis1 miles away6609 Reisterstown Road Ste 100 Baltimore Maryland 21215CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 6 (410) 358-1745
- Fmc of Porter Dialysis - Pikesville2.47 miles away115 Mchenry Ave Bedford Square 2 Suite D Pikesville Maryland 21208Dialysis Stations: 13 (410) 484-3127
- Courtland Dialysis, LLC2.63 miles away7920 Scotts Level Road Pikesville Maryland 21208Dialysis Stations: 9 (410) 922-5129
- Northwest Dialysis Center2.84 miles away2245 Rolling Run Dr Ste 1 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0158
- Davita - Windsor Dialysis3.26 miles away2707 Rolling Rd Stes 104-105 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (410) 944-2649
- Kidney Home Center3.33 miles away2270 Rolling Run Drive Suite 600 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0618