Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond is a small non-profit nursing home located in Henrico, Virginia. With a bottom of the barrel overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. Henrico received a city grade of C, so there are some other options in the city worth considering. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, we will discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2021 by Nick Lata
Note: Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
Even though we graded this facility extremely poorly overall, it earned a more respectable long-term care grade this year. We gave it a B- in that category. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Interestingly, this facility's terrible overall grade can't really be attributed to its inspection reports. We awarded it a C for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores account for several factors included in a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we rely on is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This facility was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in category J, K or L. This means that inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to put patient health or safety in imminent harm or jeopardy. Another red flag is that CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Does this page answer your questions about Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home wound up receiving a a terrible score in our short-term care category. It received an F in this category. In computing our short-term care scores, we look at a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. This rating is often a useful measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. With a grade in this range for this category, we weren't surprised to discover that this facility was well below average in many staffing metrics we looked at. In fact, it supplied significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other facilities. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Turning to the final category, this nursing home didn't perform very well in this area either. With a very poor grade of F in nursing, this is just about as terrible as it gets. Our nursing grade is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We weigh both the levels of training of those nurses as well as the number of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely associated with poor nursing care. More supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating a variety of conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 3.63% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Some experts believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 91.12% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Little Sisters of the Poor in Richmond, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Scores for Henrico, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Henrico, Virginia has 8 other nursing homes
- Henrico Doctors' HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.76 miles away1602 Skipwith Road Henrico Virginia 23229Voluntary non-profit - Other(804) 289-4500
- Bon Secours St Marys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.4 miles away5801 Bremo Rd Richmond Virginia 23226Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 285-2011
- Cjw Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away7101 Jahnke Road Richmond Virginia 23235Proprietary(804) 320-3911
- Bon Secours Richmond Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away1500 N. 28th Street Richmond Virginia 23223Voluntary non-profit - Private(804) 225-1700
- Bon Secours Memorial Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.13 miles away8260 Atlee Road Mechanicsville Virginia 23116Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 764-6000
- Bon Secours St Francis Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.23 miles away13710 St Francis Boulevard Midlothian Virginia 23114Voluntary non-profit - Church(804) 594-7400
- Forest Park Dialysis Center0.24 miles away1603 Santa Rosa Rd Ste 100 Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 288-2751
- Bma - West End0.24 miles away1501 Santa Rosa Rd Henrico Virginia 23229CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (804) 288-5053
- Three Chopt Dialysis0.42 miles away8813 Three Chopt Rd Henrico Virginia 23229Dialysis Stations: 16 (804) 282-6791
- Glenside Dialysis1.84 miles away7001 West Broad Street Suite C Henrico Virginia 23294Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 755-2368
- Westhampton Dialysis Center LLC2.86 miles away5320 Patterson Avenue Richmond Virginia 23226Dialysis Stations: 17 (804) 285-3394
- Fresenius Kidney Care Laurel Park3.19 miles away4008 East Parham Road Henrico Virginia 23228Dialysis Stations: 13 (804) 553-7880
- Davita - Henrico County5.5 miles away5270 Chamberlayne Rd Richmond Virginia 23227Dialysis Stations: 26 (804) 262-8077
- Davita - Hioaks Dialysis6.39 miles away671 Hioaks Rd Ste A Richmond Virginia 23225CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (804) 272-0179