Holy Family Residence is located in the large metropolitan area of Saint Paul, Minnesota with a total of 753,116 people. This nursing home excelled in our ratings with a grade of A overall. Remarkably, this is higher than the city grade of A- in Saint Paul, which is one of the higher rated cities in Minnesota. Saint Paul has a host of other nursing homes, however, we doubt you will need to look at too many others. This one is a first class option. We also gave this nursing home impressive ratings in all four of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Holy Family Residence
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Occupational Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to residents. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 99.56896 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents out of the hospital. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating is primarily tied to the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Holy Family Residence?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a very strong short-term care grade. In fact, this ended up being its third strongest category score. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. In the category of short-term care, we attempt to qualify indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients that returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Completing its excellent profile, this facility also performed well in the area of inspections. In fact, we gave it a score of B+ for that area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection grades. One critical factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Holy Family Residence Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Holy Family Residence, 6.84% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Holy Family Residence, 4.32% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Holy Family Residence, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Holy Family Residence, 16.37% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Holy Family Residence, 12.17% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Holy Family Residence, 4.73% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Holy Family Residence, 93.57% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Holy Family Residence, 13.28% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Holy Family Residence, 20.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Holy Family Residence, 1.26 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Holy Family Residence, 20.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 30 other nursing homes
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.2 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.19 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 6.72 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- Healtheast St John's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.07 miles away1575 Beam Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55109Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 232-7000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.69 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 7.74 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- Hennepin County Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 8 miles away701 Park Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55415Government - Local(612) 873-3629
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.51 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- Capitol Dialysis of Davita1.3 miles away555 Park St, Suite 230 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 221-3318
- St Paul Dialysis of Davita1.3 miles away555 Park St, Suite 180 Saint Paul Minnesota 55103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 291-8855
- Capitol Home Program of Davita - Hemo Unit1.3 miles away555 Park Street Suite 210, Hemo Unit Saint Paul Minnesota 55103Dialysis Stations: 4 (651) 221-0896
- Highland Park Dialysis of Davita2.32 miles away1559 7th St W Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 222-7139
- Davita Phalen Dialysis2.44 miles away863 Arcade St Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 776-0466
- West St Paul Dialysis of Davita2.99 miles away1555 Livingston Ave Saint Paul Minnesota 55118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 455-2995
- Fmc - West St Paul Dialysis3.11 miles away1590 S Robert St Ste 130 Saint Paul Minnesota 55118Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 457-2232
- Fmc Dialysis Services of St Paul3.33 miles away445 Etna Street Suite 60 Saint Paul Minnesota 55106Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 251-3847