Litchford Falls Healthcare is located in Raleigh, North Carolina, which is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the country. With an overall grade of C, this is a middle of the road nursing home. We wanted to point out that Raleigh received a city grade of B, so you may want to consider some other options in the city as well. The best part of this nursing home's profile was its stellar inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Litchford Falls Healthcare
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
8200 Litchford Road,
Raleigh NC 27615
112% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a middle of the pack score in the area of long-term care, with a grade of B-. For prospective residents looking for a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 95.5102 percent of its residents. The last datapoint we looked at was the facility's hospitalization rate. We found that this facility had 2.99 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. While this figure is somewhat concerning, this number may be skewed for some nursing homes based on the preexisting medical conditions of patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Litchford Falls Healthcare?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a D for its short-term care rating, which is well below average in this category. With our short-term care grade, we try to craft a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we analyze a nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. With its score in this category, we were not stunned to find that this place was well below average in terms of the number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the metrics we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. The last datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. It performed better in this area, with 54.2 percent of its patients returning home.
The next area we looked at is nursing. Sadly, it received a lowly F in this category, which is a poor grade. This is certainly a major disappointment. Our nursing rating is based on numerous factors. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This nursing home provides 3.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is slightly below average. Unfortunately, this place also had terrible scores in several of the quality-based metrics to go along with its low nursing hours. We looked at the percent of patients sustaining pressure ulcers. This facility was at more than double the national average in this datapoint.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Litchford Falls Healthcare Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 10.34% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 3.97% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 3.26% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 11.5% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to having more patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 22.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 3.06% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing symptoms of depression. High rates of depression may be a sign a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 88.86% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 19.28% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 26.79% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who retained mobility levels.
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 26.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 11.98 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Litchford Falls Healthcare, 72.58% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Raleigh, NC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Raleigh, North Carolina has 8 other nursing homes
- Duke Health Raleigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.4 miles away3400 Wake Forest Rd Raleigh North Carolina 27609Voluntary non-profit - Private(919) 954-3000
- WakemedAcute Care Hospitals 7.27 miles away3000 New Bern Ave Raleigh North Carolina 27610Voluntary non-profit - Private(919) 350-8000
- Rex HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.84 miles away4420 Lake Boone Trail Raleigh North Carolina 27607Government - State(919) 784-3100
- WakemedAcute Care Hospitals 14.57 miles away1900 Kildare Farm Road Cary North Carolina 27518Voluntary non-profit - Private(919) 350-2550
- Duke Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.1 miles away3643 N Roxboro Street Durham North Carolina 27704Government - Local(919) 470-4000
- Central Regional HospitalPsychiatric 19.69 miles away300 Veazy Rd Butner North Carolina 27509Voluntary non-profit - Church(919) 764-2000
- Oak City Dialysis2.51 miles away3645 Trust Drive Raleigh North Carolina 27616Dialysis Stations: 10 (919) 876-6827
- Fresenius Medical Care Northern Wake4.23 miles away2700 Leighton Ridge Drive Wake Forest North Carolina 27587Dialysis Stations: 16 (919) 554-2359
- Wake Forest Dialysis Center5.27 miles away11001 Ingleside Place Raleigh North Carolina 27614CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (919) 556-0968
- Fmc Wake Dialysis Clinic5.29 miles away3604 Bush Street Raleigh North Carolina 27609CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (919) 876-7501
- Fms Six Forks Dialysis Clinic6.25 miles away3411 West Millbrook Rd Raleigh North Carolina 27613CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (919) 781-8974
- Raleigh Dialysis Clinic Inc6.56 miles away3943 New Bern Ave, Suite 100 Raleigh North Carolina 27610CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (919) 231-3146
- Fresenius Medical Care Central Raleigh7.29 miles away802 Semart Drive Raleigh North Carolina 27604CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (919) 832-2644
- Fmc Eastern Wake8.43 miles away670 Granite Vista Drive Rolesville North Carolina 27571Dialysis Stations: 14 (919) 554-1752