Located in Revere, Massachusetts, Lighthouse Nursing Care Center is one of just a few nursing homes in the city. With an A overall grade, we rated this facility in the top 20 percent of all nursing homes in the United States. This is really as good of a nursing home as you'll find. Scroll down to find this facility's category grades, which are equally impressive. You really can't do much better than a straight A profile.
Lighthouse Nursing Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in our short-term care rating, where it earned an impressive grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Our short-term care scores are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Turning to inspections, this facility excelled in that area, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspection reports. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively minor. While this place had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Lighthouse Nursing Care Center?
Long-term Care Quality
We also would like to note the fact that this facility was given a superb score of A in our long-term care category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 95.3125 percent of its residents, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Switching gears to our fourth area, this facility also performed admirably in the nursing category. We gave it an A- in this area. This completed a straight A profile. The nursing rating is based on several data points, however, the primary one is the number of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of turning a patient at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lighthouse Nursing Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a great measure of quality of care.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who experienced falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents that sustained a UTI. UTI's may be a sign of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Sadly, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 1.95% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 91.63% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lighthouse Nursing Care Center, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 3.86 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 4.52 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.14 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 5.23 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)3.77 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)4.12 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Massachusetts General Hospital4.21 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center4.43 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Dci Ball Square4.77 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- Dialysis Clinic, Inc. (Dci Boston)5.04 miles away35 Kneeland Street 5th Floor Boston Massachusetts 02111CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 636-6389
- Davita Boston Dialysis6.04 miles awayDialysis Unit 660 Harrison Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02118CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (617) 859-7000
- Brigham and Women's Hospital6.41 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130