With an address in Vista, California, Life Care Center of Vista is one of just a few available nursing homes in the area. With an overall grade of D, this is a well below average facility. Keep in mind that Vista received a city grade of B-, so should consider other options in the city as well. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next section.
Life Care Center of Vista
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
304 N. Melrose Dr,
Vista CA 92083
42.61% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Life Care Center of Vista has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not have many positive things to say about this facility's overall score, it earned a respectable government inspection report this year. It received a decent grade in this category with a B-. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing score. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an B-. Nursing grades are primarily tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides an impressive 4.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at a few nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these datapoints. With less than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this metric.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Vista?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we looked at is short-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B- in this category. With our short-term care grade, we endeavor to craft a meaningful barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's level of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this facility provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was a much stronger area for this facility. This place outperformed most facilities in this metric with 67.1 percent of its residents returning home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this facility was awarded a decent long-term care grade of B-. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Unfortunately, its hospitalization rate was less favorable. Here we found that this nursing home had 2.32 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Vista Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Vista, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Vista, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Vista, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Vista, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Vista, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Vista, 4.32% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Vista, 96.21% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Vista, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Vista, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were able to retain mobility. Some believe that mobility is important for residents' well-being.
In Life Care Center of Vista, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Vista, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Vista, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Vista, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.34 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.94 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.71 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.37 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Fmc-Buena Creek0.63 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita Oceanside Dialysis1.87 miles away4182 Oceanside Blvd Oceanside California 92056Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 941-8393
- Fmc-North Coast Kidney Center3.7 miles away3300 Vista Way, Suite A Oceanside California 92056CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (760) 721-4344
- u.s. Renal Care Oceanside Dialysis4.31 miles away2227- B El Camino Real Oceanside California 92054CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 757-1838
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center9.4 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis11.37 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis11.71 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Fmc-Rancho16.3 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700