Life Care Center of Tucson is in the densely populated metropolitan area of Tucson, Arizona. This is a strong nursing home with a grade of B+ overall. We were pleased to learn that many of the other facilities in Tucson received similar scores. You could certainly do much worse than this facility. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card was its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section
Life Care Center of Tucson
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of faring well in its overall grade, this facility received even higher grades for short-term care. It earned one of our highest scores in that category with an A. Short-term care scores are meaningful for people in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates additional highly-skilled nursing. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this facility also performed well in inspections, which is based on its recent inspection reports. We gave it an A- for that area. Our inspection grades are based on several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Tucson?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. When computing our nursing scores, we analyze both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we scored is long-term care. In this category, we gave this facility an acceptable grade of C. This actually proved to be this facility's least impressive area. Our long-term care grade assesses a facility's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled nursing and medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. In addition to assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 94.97488 percent of its residents, which is more than most nursing homes. This facility also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Tucson Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 2.25% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 1.58% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Additional nurse staffing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 11.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are sometimes used for treating several conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 16.92% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 2.87% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 81.19% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 12.86% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 23.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility. Some experts argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 23.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 10.95 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Tucson, 73.63% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Tucson, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Tucson, Arizona has 20 other nursing homes
- Northwest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.02 miles away6200 North La Cholla Boulevard Tucson Arizona 85741Proprietary(520) 469-8100
- Sonora Behavioral Health HospitalPsychiatric 0.34 miles away6050 North Corona Road Tucson Arizona 85704Proprietary(520) 469-8700
- St. Mary's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.31 miles away1601 West St Mary's Road Tucson Arizona 85745Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 872-3000
- Banner - University Medical Center Tucson CampusAcute Care Hospitals 6.71 miles away1625 North Campbell Avenue Tucson Arizona 85724Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-4189
- Oro Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.2 miles away1551 East Tangerine Road Tucson Arizona 85755Proprietary(520) 901-3549
- Tucson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away5301 East Grant Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 327-5461
- Palo Verde Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 9.22 miles away2695 North Craycroft Road Tucson Arizona 85712Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 322-2888
- Banner-University Medical Center South CampusAcute Care Hospitals 10.94 miles away2800 East Ajo Way Tucson Arizona 85713Voluntary non-profit - Private(520) 874-2000
- Northwest Tucson Dialysis (Fmc)0.15 miles away6261 N La Cholla Blvd Ste 181 Tucson Arizona 85741CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (520) 297-1490
- Northwest Tucson Dialysis (Dva)4.74 miles away2945 W Ina Rd Ste 105 Tucson Arizona 85741CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (520) 797-0049
- Tucson West Dialysis Center (Fmc)5.28 miles away100 W Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85705CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (520) 624-0266
- Desert Dialysis Center (Dci)5.37 miles away2022 E Prince Rd Tucson Arizona 85719Dialysis Stations: 19 (520) 327-0007
- Tucson West Dialysis (Dva)6.46 miles away1780 W Anklam Rd Tucson Arizona 85745CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (520) 624-2220
- Banner University Medical Center Pediatric Outpatient Dialysis Unit6.78 miles awayPO Box 245148 Tucson Arizona 85724Dialysis Stations: 4 (520) 694-7176
- Tucson Central Dialysis (Dva)6.87 miles away2901 E Grant Rd Tucson Arizona 85716CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (520) 325-3408
- Tangerine Crossing7.44 miles away3600 W Tangerine Rd Suite 120 Marana Arizona 85658Dialysis Stations: 20 (520) 477-0341