With an address in Scituate, Massachusetts, Life Care Center of the South Shore is one of a mere two nursing homes in this city. Sporting an overall grade of A, this facility is ranked among the top nursing homes we assessed. We simply can't say enough favorable things about this place. This facility was also given strong ratings in all of the major categories we assessed. More information about these categories can be found below.
Life Care Center of the South Shore
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a great overall grade, this facility excelled at short-term care. In fact, we gave it an A for that category. In determining these short-term care grades, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a very impressive long-term care grade. Indeed, this is its second strongest category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a score of A. Facilities that excel in long-term care typically provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 99.23664 percent of its patients, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia can be a dangerous health condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a facility doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of the South Shore?
This nursing home has received near flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some are quite insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This means the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
The fourth area we rated was nursing, where this facility was given a grade of A. This rounded out a very impressive profile. Very few facilities received an A- or higher in every single category. In computing a facility's nursing score, we consider the amount of time nurses spend with residents and the level of skill of those nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of the South Shore Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 3.62% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents which have had falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 2.45% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. More frequent bathing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 18.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 18.8% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 1.95% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 91.63% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 15.18% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 19.01% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients that maintained mobility. Many argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 19.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 10.9 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of the South Shore, 71.03% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- South Shore HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.63 miles away55 Fogg Road South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 340-8000
- Signature Healthcare Brockton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.16 miles away680 Center Street Brockton Massachusetts 02302Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 941-7000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - PlymouthAcute Care Hospitals 17 miles away275 Sandwich Street Plymouth Massachusetts 02360Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 746-2000
- Good Samaritan Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.32 miles away235 North Pearl Street Brockton Massachusetts 02301Proprietary(508) 427-3000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton IncAcute Care Hospitals 17.44 miles away199 Reedsdale Road Milton Massachusetts 02186Government - Federal(617) 696-4600
- Carney HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.62 miles away2100 Dorchester Avenue Dorchester Center Massachusetts 02124Proprietary(617) 506-2000
- Boston Medical Center Corporation-Acute Care Hospitals 19.82 miles away1 Boston Medical Center Place Boston Massachusetts 02118Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 638-8000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.95 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Weymouth Dialysis9.72 miles away330 Libbey Industrial Parkway Suite 900 East Weymouth Massachusetts 02189CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 331-7700
- Us Renal Care Weymouth Dialysis10.75 miles away587 Washington Street Weymouth Massachusetts 02188Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 340-3938
- Quality Care Dialysis Center11.43 miles awayUnit 1 Stetson West 2 West Street Unit 1 South Weymouth Massachusetts 02190CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (781) 331-4100
- South Suburban Dialysis Facility13.67 miles away(Bma Quincy) 241 Parkingway Quincy Massachusetts 02169Dialysis Stations: 20 (617) 847-1700
- Fresenius Medical Care of Plymouth Cordage14.15 miles away10 Cordage Park Circle Suite 213 Plymouth Massachusetts 02360CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 732-9272
- Us Renal Care Quincy16.6 miles away500 Victory Road Quincy Massachusetts 02171Dialysis Stations: 10 (617) 472-7800
- Brockton Regional Kidney Center16.63 miles away76 Campanelli Industrial Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (508) 427-5329
- Brockton Dialysis Center, LLC16.8 miles away375 Westgate Drive Brockton Massachusetts 02301Dialysis Stations: 19 (508) 586-2791