Life Care Center of the North Shore is a large nursing home located in Lynn, Massachusetts. This is a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. In fact, we ranked this facility in the top third of all nursing homes in the nation. If you look further down this page, you can see this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive.
Life Care Center of the North Shore
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
111 Birch Street,
Lynn MA 01902
85.44% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. In our short-term care assessment, we strive to craft a fair measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we look at the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as occupational therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in inspections, where it received an A-. Few nursing homes performed as well in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of the North Shore?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a favorable long-term care grade, with a grade of B in this area. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 85.19637 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a few points less than we expected but still a respectable percentage. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The last category we graded is nursing. This facility received a favorable nursing score in our assessment, with a grade of B. This nursing home really doesn't have any weaknesses. Our nursing grade looks at the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving residents more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of the North Shore Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Falls are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely linked to worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric may be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 2.48% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 91.39% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of the North Shore, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- North Shore Medical Center -Acute Care Hospitals 2.71 miles away81 Highland Avenue Salem Massachusetts 01970Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 741-1215
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Beverly Hospital CorporationAcute Care Hospitals 6.92 miles away85 Herrick Street Beverly Massachusetts 01915Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 922-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.69 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 10.72 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.25 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 11.36 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Davita Salem Northeast Dialysis2.02 miles away207 Highland Ave Suite 2 Salem Massachusetts 01970CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 744-2075
- Peabody Dialysis Center3.24 miles away19-a Centennial Drive Peabody Massachusetts 01960CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 532-7663
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)4.07 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Fresenius Medical Care Danvers6.2 miles away75 Newbury Street Danvers Massachusetts 01923Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 774-0350
- North Shore Regional Dialysis Center7.32 miles away133 Brimbal Ave Unit E Beverly Massachusetts 01915CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (978) 921-2052
- Fmc Services of Stoneham8.45 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center9.67 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)9.9 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282