Located in Stoneham, Massachusetts, Life Care Center of Stoneham is one of just a few available facilities in this area. Featuring an overall rating of A, this is without a doubt an elite nursing home. Based on our analysis, this place is simply as good as it gets. Keep reading to see this place's category ratings, which also impressed us. You really can't do any better than a straight A profile.
Life Care Center of Stoneham
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home received high marks in the category of short-term care as well. As a result, it received our highest score in that category with an A+. Our short-term care scores are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final measure we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Adding to its impressive category grades, this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed as well in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on several datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Unfortunately, it does not appear that we were able to find information on deficiency's for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Stoneham?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was superb in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a score of A. Few facilities received a better grade in this category. Facilities that do well in this category typically provide patients with better supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The fourth category we graded was nursing, where this facility was awarded a grade of A-. This topped off an elite profile. Only a select few nursing homes earned an A- or better in in each area we assessed. Nursing scores are mostly tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving residents even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Stoneham Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients which experienced a fall leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term patients which sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 1.93% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 91.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Stoneham, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Melrosewakefield HealthcareAcute Care Hospitals 1.63 miles away585 Lebanon Street Melrose Massachusetts 02176Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 979-3000
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.82 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Cambridge Health AllianceAcute Care Hospitals 5.41 miles away1493 Cambridge Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Government - Local(617) 665-2300
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary -Acute Care Hospitals 6.22 miles away243 Charles Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 523-7900
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Massachusetts General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away55 Fruit Street Boston Massachusetts 02114Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 726-2000
- Tufts Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.2 miles away800 Washington Street Boston Massachusetts 02111Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 636-5000
- Davita Wellington Circle Dialysis Center2.39 miles away10 Cabot Road Suite 103b Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 306-9740
- Medford Dialysis Center (Bma Medford)3.45 miles away305 Mystic Avenue Medford Massachusetts 02155CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (781) 396-9282
- Fmc Services of Stoneham3.6 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Davita Woburn Dialysis3.61 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Dci Ball Square3.74 miles away643 Broadway Somerville Massachusetts 02145CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (617) 616-3600
- North Suburban Dialysis Center (Bma Essex County)4.09 miles awayAugustine Plaza 124 Broadway, Route 1n Saugus Massachusetts 01906CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (781) 233-2877
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis5.38 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Massachusetts General Hospital6.11 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Fruit St, Bigelow 10 Boston Massachusetts 02114Dialysis Stations: 11 (617) 726-3700