Life Care Center of St Louis is an average-sized nursing home in Saint Louis, Missouri. Sporting an overall rating of C, this appears to be a middle of the road facility. This nursing home has some things working in its favor. One of the better aspects of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Life Care Center of St Louis
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's overall score was propped up by the fact that it has earned favorable government inspections in recent years. We gave it a strong score in that area, with a B. This is a notably better grade than the facility's overall score. Inspection grades are tied to many datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category typically have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
This facility also excelled in our nursing category, where it earned an B. Few facilities performed better in this area. Nursing scores are largely tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving patients more often.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of St Louis?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its next best category grade in the category of short-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of B- in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable score. Short-term care grades are based on a nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. We were surprised to find that this nursing home was below average in the two key staffing areas we looked at. It offered fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other nursing homes. It is important to determine whether this also correlates to a lower quality of care. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of residents that were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this facility was given a decent long-term care score of C. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we turned to the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinates 98.290596 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of St Louis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall resulting in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for a variety of medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 4.19% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many believe this is a measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 88.53% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of St Louis, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's usually correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 4.1 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 7.8 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.37 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 11.16 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis0.31 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand0.35 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Fmc - Chouteau0.78 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- St. Louis Dialysis Center0.96 miles away2610 Clark Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (314) 534-0909
- Forest Park Kidney Center1.12 miles away4205 Forest Park Ave. Saint Louis Missouri 63108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 286-0800
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center1.77 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209
- Saint Louis Childrens Hospital Dialysis1.81 miles awayOne Childrens Place 2n90 Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 5 (314) 454-6065
- South City Dialysis2.72 miles away3740 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63118Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 664-6687