Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley is in North Billerica, Massachusetts, a city with a population of 10,227 people. Featuring an overall score of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. This nursing home definitely has plenty of good features. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories can be found below.
Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this place is a quality nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections is its best category. In that category, we gave this facility an A. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection grades. One key factor is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are quite insignificant. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. This is really what you like to see in this important metric.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home truly excelled in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Very few nursing homes performed better in this category. In determining our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is frequently a reliable assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of patients that ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. In determining a nursing home's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses spend with patients as well as the level of skill of the nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Massachusetts in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving a patient more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care. We gave this nursing home a decent score in this area, with a B-. While this is not on par with many of its other scores, it is nevertheless not a poor grade. Long-term care grades are based on a facility's volume of nursing care. This means a vast spectrum of personal care services, ranging from assistance with activities of daily living to routine medical services. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than the majority of nursing homes. This nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 6.44% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint is is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a great indicator of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents who had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 2.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 19.05% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which are administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 1.93% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 91.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 15.15% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 17.66% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 1.44 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 17.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 10.93 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Merrimack Valley, 71.35% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, BurlingtonAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away41 & 45 Mall Road Burlington Massachusetts 01803Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 744-5100
- Emerson Hospital -Acute Care Hospitals 10.69 miles away133 Old Road to 9 Acre Corner Concord Massachusetts 01742Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 369-1400
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Winchester HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.44 miles away41 Highland Avenue Winchester Massachusetts 01890Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 729-9000
- Nashoba Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.91 miles away200 Groton Road Ayer Massachusetts 01432Proprietary(978) 784-9000
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.96 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.21 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Fresenius Medical Care Chelmsford1.67 miles away27 Industrial Ave Chelmsford Massachusetts 01824Dialysis Stations: 16 (978) 250-0981
- Fresenius Medical Care of Lowell2.78 miles away847 Rogers Street Suite 101 Lowell Massachusetts 01852CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (978) 441-5100
- Davita Burlington Regional Dialysis7.94 miles away31 Mall Road-Dialysis Suite 1b Burlington Massachusetts 01803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 270-3580
- Dci Walden Pond10.65 miles away56 B Winthrop Street Concord Massachusetts 01742Dialysis Stations: 13 (978) 369-1683
- Davita Woburn Dialysis10.77 miles away23 Warren Avenue Woburn Massachusetts 01801Dialysis Stations: 17 (781) 935-7700
- Davita North Andover Renal at Home11.59 miles away201 Sutton Street North Andover Massachusetts 01845CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 975-1119
- Fmc Services of Stoneham11.66 miles away2 Main Street Suite 100 Stoneham Massachusetts 02180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (781) 279-2454
- Fresenius Medical Care Merrimack Valley12.7 miles away100 Milk Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (978) 686-9900