Life Care Center of Kansas City is an average-sized nursing home in Kansas City, Kansas. It looks like this is a good facility. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid rating. Indeed, we thought highly enough of this nursing home to rate it ahead of most of the nursing homes in Kansas City. This place was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any bad scores in any of our major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Life Care Center of Kansas City
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared well in long-term care. We awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care tend to provide consistent around the clock care to ensure residents are kept in good health. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 87.69231 percent of its residents. This is a bit lower than we were hoping for. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Turning to another one of this place's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections proved to be one of its best category grades. We gave this nursing home a grade of B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Kansas City?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B in this area. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a patient more frequently.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is short-term care. We gave this facility a C in this category. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. It does not look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Kansas City Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 7.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage caused by remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 5.14% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 17.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 22.38% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents who are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 5.98% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Higher levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 91.04% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 16.84% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 19.61% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 19.61 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 10.57 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Kansas City, 74.57% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Kansas City, KS
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Kansas has 8 other nursing homes
- Providence Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.76 miles away8929 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66112Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 596-4000
- Saint Lukes North HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.01 miles away5830 N W Barry Road Kansas City Missouri 64154Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 891-6000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.61 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 8.71 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 8.77 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- North Kansas City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.01 miles away2800 Clay Edwards Drive Kansas City Missouri 64116Government - Local(816) 691-2000
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 9.75 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 10.47 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Rai - Parallel Parkway - Kansas City Dialysis1.25 miles away6401 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 299-1044
- Wyandotte County Dialysis, L L C2.47 miles away5001 State Ave Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (913) 287-5724
- Wyandotte Central Dialysis3.23 miles away3737 State Avenue # 100 Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 233-0536
- Wyandotte West Dialysis6.28 miles away11014 Haskell Ave Kansas City Kansas 66109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 721-9780
- Platte Woods Dialysis6.98 miles away7667 Nw Prairie View Rd Kansas City Missouri 64151CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (816) 746-5542
- Penn Valley Dialysis Center7.98 miles away2502 Summit Kansas City Missouri 64108Dialysis Stations: 20 (816) 531-1118
- Hospital Hill Dialysis8.06 miles away900 E 21st Street Kansas City Missouri 64108CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (816) 842-9286
- Davita Mission Dialysis8.32 miles away2852 W 47th Ave Kansas City Kansas 66103Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 403-1843