Life Care Center of Hickory Woods is the lone option located in Antioch, Tennessee. This turns out to be a respectable facility, with an overall grade of B-. You can certainly do worse than this facility. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Life Care Center of Hickory Woods
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
4200 Murfreesboro Pike,
Antioch TN 37013
58.06% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Tennessee Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Tennessee Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Inspection ratings weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with better grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This place was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also performed well in the category of short-term care, with an elite grade of A- in this category. Our short-term care scores are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. It does not look like this nursing home submitted data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we assessed in this category is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 6.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Hickory Woods?
This nursing home's next best category was nursing. We awarded it a grade of C in this category. This is basically a middle of the road grade in this category. Nursing ratings are primarily tied to the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive category is long-term care, which is the last category we analyzed. Unfortunately, we gave it a lowly F for this category. Even with some acceptable grades in other categories, this score is still of a concern so we felt obligated to draw your attention to it. In a long-term care setting, the primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Hickory Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 8.88% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 3.29% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Closer supervision limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 3.08% of Patients had UTIs
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients that have had urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 15.67% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Tragically, in some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 29.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 9.14% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 88.31% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 17.11% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 20.35% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 1.4 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 20.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 11.68 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Hickory Woods, 74.44% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Tristar Stonecrest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.98 miles away200 Stonecrest Boulevard Smyrna Tennessee 37167Proprietary(615) 768-2000
- Tristar Southern Hills Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.22 miles away391 Wallace Rd Nashville Tennessee 37211Proprietary(615) 781-4000
- Tristar Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.42 miles away5655 Frist Blvd Hermitage Tennessee 37076Proprietary(615) 316-3000
- Vanderbilt University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.11 miles away1211 Medical Center Drive Nashville Tennessee 37232Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 322-3454
- Saint Thomas Midtown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.55 miles away2000 Church St Nashville Tennessee 37236Voluntary non-profit - Private(615) 284-5555
- Saint Thomas Rutherford HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.79 miles away1700 Medical Center Parkway Murfreesboro Tennessee 37129Voluntary non-profit - Church(615) 396-4100
- Tristar Centennial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.84 miles away2300 Patterson Street Nashville Tennessee 37203Proprietary(615) 342-1000
- Williamson Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.94 miles away4321 Carothers Parkway Franklin Tennessee 37067Government - Hospital District or Authority(615) 435-5000
- Davita Smyrna3.83 miles away537 Stonecrest Pkwy Suite 110 Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 8 (615) 220-2716
- Dialysis Associate, LLC4.18 miles away5214 Hickory Hollow Parkway Antioch Tennessee 37013Dialysis Stations: 17 (615) 731-6368
- Fmc Dialysis Assoc. Of Smyrna5 miles away10519 Cedar Grove Rd Smyrna Tennessee 37167Dialysis Stations: 16 (615) 220-1739
- Davita Woodbine Dialysis6.82 miles away5209 Linbar Drive, Suite 605 Nashville Tennessee 37211Dialysis Stations: 11 (615) 333-9765
- Dci Southern Hills8.02 miles away510 Recovery Road Suite 100 Nashville Tennessee 37211CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (615) 832-0761
- Vanderbilt Dialysis Clinic East9.39 miles away20 Rachel Dr Nashville Tennessee 37214CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (615) 467-4070
- Hermitage Dialysis10.4 miles away5530 Old Hickory Blvd Suite 18 Hermitage Tennessee 37076Dialysis Stations: 12 (615) 232-7219
- Vanderbilt Dialysis Clinic10.67 miles away2906 Foster Creighton Drive Nashville Tennessee 37204CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (615) 343-3676