Life Care Center of Gwinnett is a large nursing home located in Lawrenceville, Georgia. This nursing home was awarded an overall grade of B-, which is a respectable rating. Based on our ratings, this place has some redeeming qualities. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Life Care Center of Gwinnett
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
3850 Safehaven Drive,
Lawrenceville GA 30044
44.66% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
The main reason this ended up being a decent nursing home is that it earned an excellent inspection score. Its inspection grade was far superior to its overall score. In our inspections category, we gave this facility an A+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining our inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some can be quite minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's more impressive category grades came in the category of short-term care. In that category, we gave this nursing home a B+. It actually outperformed most facilities in this category. With our short-term care grade, we try to create a valuable barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. One reason for this facility's strong score in this category is that it provides a greater volume of physical therapist hours to its residents than the average nursing home. The last statistic we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that it performed as well as just about any nursing home in Georgia in this area with 63.9 percent of its residents returning home.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Gwinnett?
Moving on to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. We gave this nursing home an impressive grade of D. There are a host of factors included in this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home averaged a meager 3.1 hours of nursing care per resident daily. This number is well below average. In addition to receiving below average marks for total nursing hours, this facility was less impressive in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at in calculating our nursing grades. We looked at the percentage of residents experiencing pressure ulcers and found this place was at roughly 1.5 times the national average in this metric.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we graded was long-term care, which turned out to be this facility's weakest category. We awarded this nursing home a D in this category. Unfortunately, this grade hurt the facility's overall profile to a certain degree. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 98.16514 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable datapoint. To our surprise, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had only 1 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Gwinnett Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 10.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 3.08% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 3.2% of Patients had UTIs
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 18.01% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 5.36% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 93.3% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 23.16% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that the ability to move around is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 1.5 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 23.16 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 11.64 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Gwinnett, 69.86% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Lawrenceville, GA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Lawrenceville, Georgia has 4 other nursing homes
- Eastside Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.79 miles away1700 Medical Way Snellville Georgia 30078Proprietary(770) 736-2498
- Northside Hospital GwinnettAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away1000 Medical Center Boulevard Lawrenceville Georgia 30045Government - Hospital District or Authority(678) 312-1000
- Peachford Behavioral Health System of AtlantaPsychiatric 11.51 miles away2151 Peachford Road Atlanta Georgia 30338Proprietary(770) 455-3200
- Emory Johns Creek HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.57 miles away6325 Hospital Parkway Duluth Georgia 30097Proprietary(678) 474-7000
- Emory Decatur HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.76 miles away2701 N Decatur Road Decatur Georgia 30033Voluntary non-profit - Private(404) 501-1000
- Emory Hillandale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.4 miles away2801 Dekalb Medical Parkway Lithonia Georgia 30058Government - Hospital District or Authority(404) 501-8040
- Saint Joseph's Hospital of Atlanta, IncAcute Care Hospitals 14.43 miles away5665 Peachtree Dunwoody Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Private(678) 843-5720
- Children's Healthcare of Atlanta at Scottish RiteChildrens 14.57 miles away1001 Johnson Ferry Road Atlanta Georgia 30342Voluntary non-profit - Other(404) 785-5252
- Davita Lilburn Dialysis2.42 miles away4805 Lawrenceville Highway Nw Ste 320b Lilburn Georgia 30047Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 381-7544
- Fms Lawrenceville3.82 miles away1115 Herrington Road Lawrenceville Georgia 30044CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (770) 962-3546
- Bio-Medical Applications of Georgia, Inc4.28 miles away4455 Stone Mountain Hwy Lilburn Georgia 30047Dialysis Stations: 21 (678) 344-1586
- Fmc of Snellville Inc4.43 miles away2096 Mcgee Road Snellville Georgia 30078Dialysis Stations: 11 (770) 985-6656
- Nephron Corporation4.68 miles away6060 Singleton Road Suite A Norcross Georgia 30093Dialysis Stations: 14 (770) 771-0200
- Nephron Corporation4.89 miles away605 Old Norcross Road Lawrenceville Georgia 30045Dialysis Stations: 21 (770) 513-0927
- Nephron Corporation5.44 miles away2290 Oak Road Snellville Georgia 30078Dialysis Stations: 15 (678) 879-1231
- Davita Snellville Dialysis5.98 miles away2135 Main Street East Suite 130 Snellville Georgia 30078CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (770) 979-3117