Life Care Center of Escondido is an average-sized nursing home in Escondido, California. This nursing home received an overall grade of B+, which is very good rating. Impressively, the nursing homes in Escondido received high grades across the board, making this one of the better places in California to find a nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Life Care Center of Escondido
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1980 Felicita Road,
Escondido CA 92025
70.08% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really excelled at short-term care, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Among this facility's other strengths is its elite nursing grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of A-. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the number of hours the nurses spent with residents, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Escondido?
In addition, this nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Few facilities performed better in this category. These inspection scores take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies an immediate threat to resident safety or health. A few minor dings aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's least impressive area is long-term care, which is the last category we scored. For this area, we awarded this facility an D. We want to to point out this potential weak spot, however, you shouldn't dwell on one bad area either. For patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is a very important category. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is better than most nursing homes. To our surprise, this facility also fared well at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Escondido Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 4.64% of Patients
This is the percent of patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Escondido, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Escondido, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Escondido, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 1.98 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.15 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.31 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.55 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 16.58 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 19.9 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis1.64 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center3.11 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Fmc-Rancho5.97 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis9.64 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North10.94 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Fmc-Buena Creek11.91 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.26 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Sanderling Dialysis of Ramona12.44 miles away2102 Main Street Ramona California 92065Dialysis Stations: 12 (844) 375-7365