Life Care Center of Bridgeton is a senior living facility in Bridgeton, Missouri. This city has 10,568 people. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel nursing home. Based on our assessment, you'd be better off to steer clear of this nursing home. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, nursing grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Life Care Center of Bridgeton
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was terrible, it actually didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it a C for this area. The nursing grade is based on numerous datapoints. The most heavily weighted one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
This place earned a D in the area of inspections. Sadly, this ended up being its second best score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection ratings. One of those factors is health deficiencies. We suggest you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility also received 35 substantiated complaints in recent years. This is yet another bad sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Bridgeton?
Short-term Care Quality
As it turns out, this nursing home only earned a grade of D for its short-term care score, which is not an impressive grade. Short-term care ratings are meaningful for residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Considering its weak rating in this area, we weren't surprised to discover that this facility offered substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the last area, this facility did not fare very well in this area either. With an abysmal grade of F in long-term care, this is really as terrible as it gets. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it generally means the facility did not perform well in our quality measures relating to patient care. One of the data points we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. We were a bit concerned this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to only 82.296646 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Bridgeton Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 4.19% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 88.53% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Bridgeton, 72.81% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Ssm Health Depaul Hospital St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 0.28 miles away12303 Depaul Drive Bridgeton Missouri 63044Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 344-6000
- Ssm Health St Joseph Hospital-St CharlesAcute Care Hospitals 3.77 miles away300 1st Capitol Dr Saint Charles Missouri 63301Voluntary non-profit - Private(636) 947-5000
- Barnes-Jewish West County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.38 miles away12634 Olive Boulevard Saint Louis Missouri 63141Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-8000
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- St Lukes HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away232 S Woods Mill Rd Chesterfield Missouri 63017Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 434-1500
- Barnes-Jewish St Peters HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.72 miles away10 Hospital Dr Saint Peters Missouri 63376Voluntary non-profit - Other(636) 916-9000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 10.09 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Christian Hospital Northeast-NorthwestAcute Care Hospitals 10.33 miles away11133 Dunn Road Saint Louis Missouri 63136Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 653-5000
- Fmc - Bridgeton0.61 miles away12380 Natural Bridge Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 21 (314) 344-3020
- Quality Care Dialysis Centers - Bridgeton1.27 miles away12484 St. Charles Rock Rd Bridgeton Missouri 63044Dialysis Stations: 14 (314) 298-0320
- St. Louis Regional Dialysis Center, Inc.2.78 miles away10951 St. Charles Rock Road Saint Ann Missouri 63074Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 739-4691
- Hazelwood Dialysis4.09 miles away637 Dunn Road #125 Hazelwood Missouri 63042CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 731-8039
- Saint Louis West Pd Dialysis5.62 miles away9632 Olive Blvd Saint Louis Missouri 63132Dialysis Stations: 2 (314) 994-9311
- Creve Coeur Dialysis Center5.65 miles away1009 Executive Pkwy #100 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (314) 434-4770
- Natural Bridge Dialysis5.74 miles away8980 Natural Bridge Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63121Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 426-2064
- Fmc - Creve Coeur5.81 miles away555 N New Ballas #170 Saint Louis Missouri 63141CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (314) 872-9272