Life Care Center of Aurora is a large nursing home located in Aurora, Colorado. With an overall rating of B+, this facility should work for most prospective patients. We were pleased to learn that this matched the average grade of facilities in Aurora, which is one of the better cities in Colorado to find a nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card is its short-term care rating. We discuss short-term care in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Life Care Center of Aurora
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Aurora, Colorado Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this facility an A+ for its short-term care rating. In the area of short-term care, we try to evaluate measures of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. Nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an A-. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Colorado in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of turning patients at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Aurora?
Turning to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection rating. Inspections turned out to be one of its best category grades. In that area, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of B+. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our final category, we gave this nursing home a D for the area of long-term care. This is the nursing home's weakest category grade. Nevertheless, we wouldn't over-emphasize one bad area. Long-term care scores in this range generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated only 85.661766 percent of its residents. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Aurora Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 5.67% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 3.72% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 2.04% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents which have sustained a UTI. While more of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 17.61% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for several medical conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 12.49% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 3.91% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 84.62% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 15.34% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 16.01% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical health.
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 1.17 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 16.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 76.2% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 6 other nursing homes
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 4.44 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away501 E Hampden Ave Englewood Colorado 80113Proprietary(303) 788-5000
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)1.05 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)2.16 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- South Denver Dialysis (Fmc)2.96 miles away3410 S Galena St Suite 100 Denver Colorado 80231Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 671-2419
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)3.28 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)3.55 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)3.76 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.4.51 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis4.55 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102