Life Care Center of Aurora is a large nursing home located in Aurora, Colorado. We gave this facility an overall rating of A-. Consequently, it is among the better nursing homes in Aurora. This is an impressive accomplishment given that the city has plenty of very solid facilities. You simply can't do any better than this nursing home. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card was its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
Life Care Center of Aurora
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Top Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Aurora, Colorado Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home earned an excellent short-term care score. In fact, we gave it an A in that area. Our short-term care grades are important for people requiring rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually utilizes more skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an A. In computing a facility's nursing grade, we weigh the quantity of hours nurses are caring for residents as well as the level of skill of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Life Care Center of Aurora?
We awarded this nursing home an impressive grade of A- for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this facility was given a decent long-term care score. Although this isn't quite as elite as many of its other scores, this is still not the end of the world. Long-term care grades are critical for people requiring non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit concerned this nursing home vaccinated only 57.35849 percent of its patients. Nevertheless, this facility keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Life Care Center of Aurora Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a great barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who suffered falls which caused major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents which sustained UTI's. While more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients that were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 3.81% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 84.99% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 1.08 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Life Care Center of Aurora, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Aurora, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Colorado has 10 other nursing homes
- Medical Center of Aurora, TheAcute Care Hospitals 0.9 miles away1501 S Potomac St Aurora Colorado 80012Proprietary(303) 873-5511
- Children's Hospital ColoradoChildrens 4.44 miles away13123 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Voluntary non-profit - Private(720) 777-1234
- University of Colorado Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 4.49 miles away12605 E 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Government - Hospital District or Authority(720) 848-0000
- Rose Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.98 miles away4567 E 9th Ave Denver Colorado 80220Proprietary(303) 320-2121
- National Jewish HealthAcute Care Hospitals 7.71 miles away1400 Jackson St Denver Colorado 80206Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 388-4461
- Centura Health-Porter Adventist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away2525 S Downing St Denver Colorado 80210Voluntary non-profit - Private(303) 778-1955
- Swedish Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.64 miles away501 E Hampden Ave Englewood Colorado 80113Proprietary(303) 788-5000
- Presbyterian St Lukes Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.02 miles away1719 E 19th Ave Denver Colorado 80218Government - State(303) 839-6000
- Aurora Dialysis (Dva)1.05 miles away1411 S Potomac St Ste 100 Aurora Colorado 80012CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (303) 368-1911
- East Aurora Dialysis (Dva)2.16 miles away482 S Chambers Rd Aurora Colorado 80017CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (303) 696-1137
- South Denver Dialysis (Fmc)2.96 miles away3410 S Galena St Suite 100 Denver Colorado 80231Dialysis Stations: 13 (303) 671-2419
- Sable Dialysis (Dva)3.28 miles away509 N Sable Blvd Aurora Colorado 80011CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (303) 366-9458
- Northeast Denver Dialysis (Fkc)3.55 miles away590 Laredo St Aurora Colorado 80017Dialysis Stations: 17 (303) 344-8704
- Aurora Dialysis (Fmc)3.76 miles away962 Potomac Cir Aurora Colorado 80011Dialysis Stations: 24 (303) 340-1398
- The Childrens Hospital Kidney Ctr.4.51 miles away13123 E 16th Ave #328 Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 9 (720) 777-6263
- University of Co Hospital - Home Dialysis4.55 miles away12605 E. 16th Ave Aurora Colorado 80045Dialysis Stations: 6 (720) 848-3102