Liberty Heights is one of a multitude of nursing home options to select from in Colorado Springs, Colorado. With an overall rating of A, this is clearly a superb nursing home. We were not surprised to discover that this is substantially better than many of the nursing homes in the city. If you scroll down, you can see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also strong.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
12205 Gunstock Drive,
Colorado Springs CO 80921
60.47% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Springs, Colorado Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Springs, Colorado Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Colorado Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a great facility overall, it also earned A+ health inspections recently. Its inspections were virtually perfect. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating our inspection scores. One key factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some can be relatively insignificant. Unfortunately, it does not look like we were able to find deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
An additional reason we rated this nursing home so favorably is that it received an A+ short-term care score. This is simply as elite as it gets in this area. Our short-term care grade is typically employed to assess a facility's rehabilitation services. To have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from the facility. We found that 6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Liberty Heights?
Among its many impressive grades, this facility received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in that category. The nursing score assesses a handful of components, most of which are tied to levels of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last category, this nursing home also was given an excellent long-term care score, with a B+. This completed a very impressive report card. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for resident care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination records. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Liberty Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Liberty Heights, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Liberty Heights, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Liberty Heights, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Liberty Heights, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Liberty Heights, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Liberty Heights, 3.81% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Liberty Heights, 84.99% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Liberty Heights, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Liberty Heights, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Liberty Heights, 1.08 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Liberty Heights, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Liberty Heights, 12.03 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Liberty Heights, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 20 other nursing homes
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.83 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 9.91 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 11.66 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 14.28 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.24 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)6 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)6.28 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)10.36 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)10.36 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)12.46 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)12.51 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455