Avantara Lake Zurich is a very-large nursing home located in Lake Zurich, Illinois. It looks like this is a quality facility. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We actually rated it as the best facility in Lake Zurich. Finally, we wanted to point out that there was an ownership change at this facility in the last 12 months. We will need to make sure it maintains its high grades going forward.
Avantara Lake Zurich
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
900 South Rand Road,
Lake Zurich IL 60047
65.32% estimated occupancy 1
Please note our records indicate that Avantara Lake Zurich has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this facility really excelled in the category of short-term care, where it received an impressive grade of A. Our short-term care scores are considered to be most meaningful for patients requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally mandates more highly-skilled nursing. This includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other types of therapy. One of this nursing home's strength is that it offers more hours of care from registered nurses to its residents. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return home from this nursing home. It outperformed the overwhelming majority of facilities with 68 percent of its residents returning home.
This facility also excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. This is one of the few nursing homes with an overall grade in this range which earned multiple category grades this high. Inspection grades account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with better grades in this area typically have very few severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Avantara Lake Zurich?
In addition, this facility also received favorable nursing grades this year. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. In calculating our nursing scores, we analyze both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided 3.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Roughly one-fourth of those hours were provided by registered nurses, which are among the most skilled levels of nurses. This is an impressive ratio of skilled nursing care. We weight these hours performed by these types of nurses more in computing our nursing ratings. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home Illinois in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we graded was long-term care. We awarded this facility one of our higher scores in this area, with a grade of B. This nursing home ended up being strong in each area we assessed. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 66.02871 percent of its residents. This is slightly below what we expected but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we like to see, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avantara Lake Zurich Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 8.96% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 3.48% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often caused by worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 18.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic drugs are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 19.06% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term patients who were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 29.52% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 87.71% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 14.14% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 19.35% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 19.35 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 11.42 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avantara Lake Zurich, 71.34% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Advocate Good Shepherd HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.86 miles away450 West Highway 22 Barrington Illinois 60010Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 381-9600
- Northwest Community Hospital 1Acute Care Hospitals 9.26 miles away800 W Central Road Arlington Heights Illinois 60005Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 618-1000
- Advocate Condell Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.3 miles away801 S Milwaukee Ave Libertyville Illinois 60048Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 362-2900
- St Alexius Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.55 miles away1555 N Barrington Rd Hoffman Estate Illinois 60169Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 843-2000
- Northwestern Lake Forest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.32 miles away1000 N Westmoreland Road Lake Forest Illinois 60045Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 234-5600
- Bhc Streamwood Hospital IncPsychiatric 12.61 miles away1400 E Irving Park Road Streamwood Illinois 60107Proprietary(630) 837-9000
- Alexian Brothers Medical Center 1Acute Care Hospitals 12.86 miles away800 W Biesterfield Rd Elk Grove Village Illinois 60007Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 437-5500
- Sherman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.89 miles away1425 North Randall Road Elgin Illinois 60123Voluntary non-profit - Private(847) 742-9800
- Fmc - Palatine Dialysis Center4.21 miles away691 East Dundee Road Palatine Illinois 60074CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (847) 963-4299
- Davita - Barrington Creek5.04 miles away28160 W. Northwest Hwy, Suite 104 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 12 (847) 381-1325
- Davita - Buffalo Grove Dialysis5.83 miles away1291 West Dundee Road Buffalo Grove Illinois 60089CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 253-9400
- Fmc - Mundelein6.62 miles away1402 Townline Road Mundelein Illinois 60060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 949-3904
- Davita - Lake County Dialysis Services Inc7.54 miles away565 Lakeview Pkwy Ste 176 Vernon Hills Illinois 60061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (847) 918-0592
- Fmc - Rolling Meadows7.7 miles away4180 Winnetka Ave. Rolling Meadows Illinois 60008CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (847) 394-6250
- Ara - South Barrington Dialysis Center9.05 miles away33 W Higgins Road, Suites 920-945 Barrington Illinois 60010Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 783-4700
- Fmc - Hoffman Estates9.47 miles away3150 W Higgins Rd Suite 190 Schaumburg Illinois 60195CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 310-0074