Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center - is located in San Antonio, Texas. This city is among the largest metropolitan areas in the nation with has 1,585,405 people. This facility received an impressive overall grade of B, which is better than many of the nursing homes in San Antonio. Even in a city featuring 63 nursing homes, this nursing home ought to be a fine option. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile is its inspection rating. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall grade, this facility earned a grade of B+ for its inspections rating. This is a well above average score in this category. Inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these issues by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's quality category scores came in the area of long-term care. We gave them one of our higher scores in that category, with a score of B+. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. On top of considering the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is often a life or death health condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility doesn't take any chances. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our third area, this facility also earned a score of B for its short-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide range of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to locate information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that returned home from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Turning to our next category, this facility was given a C for nursing, which is generally an acceptable score. There are quite a few subcategories within this grade. Most of the data points are tied to staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility excelled in some of the quality-based metrics we assessed. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center - Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are often associated with lower quality nursing care. More supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely caused by facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better nursing care limits the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 4.66% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 94.73% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Legend Oaks Healthcare and Rehabilitation Center -, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for San Antonio, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? San Antonio, Texas has 62 other nursing homes
- Southwest General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.66 miles away7400 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224Physician(210) 921-2000
- Children's Hospital of San AntonioChildrens 6.18 miles away333 N Santa Rosa St San Antonio Texas 78207Voluntary non-profit - Private(210) 704-3342
- Nix Health Care SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.26 miles away414 Navarro, Suite 600 San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 271-2188
- Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away111 Dallas Street San Antonio Texas 78205Proprietary(210) 297-8256
- Brooke Army Medical Center (Ft Sam Houston)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.81 miles away3551 Roger Brooke Drive San Antonio Texas 78234Department of Defense(210) 916-4141
- Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.22 miles away7700 Floyd Curl Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Proprietary(210) 575-4000
- University Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 11.44 miles away4502 Medical Dr San Antonio Texas 78229Government - Hospital District or Authority(210) 358-2637
- Christus Santa Rosa Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.87 miles away2827 Babcock Road San Antonio Texas 78229Voluntary non-profit - Church(210) 704-3342
- Sng Barlite0.55 miles away7500 Barlite, Suite 103 San Antonio Texas 78224CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (210) 922-3377
- Southwest San Antonio Dialysis Center0.65 miles away7515 Barlite Blvd San Antonio Texas 78224CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (210) 923-4566
- Fmc Dialysis Services of Southwest San Antonio0.84 miles away134 Camino De Oro San Antonio Texas 78224CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-9156
- Us Renal Care South San Antonio Dialysis0.93 miles away137 Palo Alto Road San Antonio Texas 78211CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (210) 924-6733
- Southwest San Antonio Dialysis1.02 miles away1620 Somerset Rd San Antonio Texas 78211CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (210) 924-6684
- Us Renal Care Pleasanton Road Dialysis3.27 miles away8119 South Flores Street San Antonio Texas 78221CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (210) 922-6255
- South San Antonio Dialysis Center3.85 miles away1313 Se Military Dr Suite 111 San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (210) 932-2434
- Southside Kidney Disease Clinic3.91 miles away1335 Se Military Dr San Antonio Texas 78214CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (210) 923-5475