With an address in Honolulu, Hawaii, Leahi Hospital is one of six facilities in this area. This facility was given an A- overall, which is a very strong rating. We ranked this nursing home as one of the 25 best nursing homes in Hawaii. The best part of this nursing home's strong report card was its nursing rating. We discuss nursing in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Adult Day Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
3675 Kilauea Avenue,
Honolulu HI 96816
86.6% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - State
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Oncology Care
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing grades are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a system of turning a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
To add to its strong accomplishments in other areas, we gave this facility a score of A for our short-term care rating. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Leahi Hospital?
Adding to its impressive category grades, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being relatively minor. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home received an above average nursing score in our assessment, with a grade of B. Even though this was not quite as elite as several of its other category grades, this remains one of our stronger scores in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure patients are kept in good health. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 95.68965 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia sadly is often a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Leahi Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Leahi Hospital, 5.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Leahi Hospital, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Leahi Hospital, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Leahi Hospital, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Leahi Hospital, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Leahi Hospital, 1.74% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Leahi Hospital, 95.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Leahi Hospital, 13.21% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Leahi Hospital, 18.67% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Leahi Hospital, 1.11 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Leahi Hospital, 18.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Leahi Hospital, 76.75% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 5 other nursing homes
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 3.13 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.13 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 7.57 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 9.09 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.93 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Kaimuki Dialysis0.47 miles away3625 Harding Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 735-2585
- Dsi Kapahulu Dialysis Center1.13 miles away750 Palani Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 732-7702
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis2.79 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana4.78 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center5.31 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility5.6 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center5.61 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Liberty Dialysis Hawaii6.11 miles away7192 Kalanianaole Hwy Suite Q-101 Honolulu Hawaii 96825Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 394-6274