LaurellWood Care Center is a small facility located in Saint Petersburg, Florida. Featuring an overall score of A-, this facility is one of the higher-rated nursing homes we assessed. Based on our assessment, you can not go wrong here. This nursing home also received impressive grades in all of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
LaurellWood Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate facility overall, this facility also excelled in nursing, where it received an A. Few nursing homes performed better in this category. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be quite minor. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple relatively minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about LaurellWood Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this facility, we gave them one of our higher grades in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Short-term care grades are crucial for prospective residents in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes more highly-skilled nursing. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next area, this nursing home received a strong long-term care score. While this was not nearly as elite as many of its other grades, this remains one of the better scores a facility can receive. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure residents are well cared for. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 93.20988 percent of its residents. This is a bit below what we were hoping for but still a decent percentage. Finally, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
LaurellWood Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In LaurellWood Care Center, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In LaurellWood Care Center, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In LaurellWood Care Center, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who have had UTI's. UTI's could be an indication of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In LaurellWood Care Center, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are given to residents for many medical conditions, including dementia. Sadly, in some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In LaurellWood Care Center, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In LaurellWood Care Center, 2.33% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In LaurellWood Care Center, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In LaurellWood Care Center, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In LaurellWood Care Center, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts believe that mobility is important for patients health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In LaurellWood Care Center, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In LaurellWood Care Center, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Saint Petersburg, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Saint Petersburg, Florida has 26 other nursing homes
- Northside HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.49 miles away6000 49th St N Saint Petersburg Florida 33709Proprietary(813) 521-5000
- St Anthonys HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.36 miles away1200 Seventh Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Voluntary non-profit - Church(727) 825-1100
- St Petersburg General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.42 miles away6500 38th Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Proprietary(727) 384-1414
- Johns Hopkins All Children's HospitalChildrens 4.55 miles away501 Sixth Avenue South Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Other(813) 898-7451
- Bayfront Health - St PetersburgAcute Care Hospitals 4.6 miles away701 6th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 823-1234
- Palms of Pasadena HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.27 miles away1501 Pasadena Ave S Saint Petersburg Florida 33707Proprietary(727) 381-1000
- Largo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.83 miles away201 14th St Sw Largo Florida 33770Proprietary(727) 588-5200
- Morton Plant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.6 miles away300 Pinellas St Clearwater Florida 33756Voluntary non-profit - Private(727) 462-7000
- Fmc - Pinellas Park1.56 miles away7910 Us Hwy 19n Pinellas Park Florida 33781CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (727) 544-5916
- H Street North - St Petersburg3.78 miles away635 4th St No Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (727) 821-4654
- St Petersburg South Dialysis3.78 miles away2850 34th Street S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 864-4050
- St Petersburg Dialysis3.79 miles away1117 Arlington Ave N Saint Petersburg Florida 33705Dialysis Stations: 20 (727) 896-9029
- Pinellas West Shore Dialysis4.01 miles away3451 66th Street N Saint Petersburg Florida 33710Dialysis Stations: 12 (727) 345-8389
- Fmc - South Saint Petersburg4.12 miles away650 34th St S Saint Petersburg Florida 33711Dialysis Stations: 31 (727) 321-2527
- St Petersburg Kidney Care4.19 miles away800 3rd Ave S. Webb Plaza Saint Petersburg Florida 33701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (727) 821-3201
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital Dialysis4.5 miles away501 6th Ave S 6500000410 Saint Petersburg Florida 33701Dialysis Stations: 7 (727) 767-4166