Lasell House is a small non-profit nursing home in Auburndale, Massachusetts. With an overall score of A+, this facility is among the best nursing homes we assessed. In fact, this is one of the top 10 facilities in the nation, which is just an incredible accomplishment. As you can see below, this place performed just as well in our category ratings. We gave it a straight A report card!
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Auburndale senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being an elite nursing home overall, this facility also performed well in our inspections category, where it earned an A+. Very few places performed as well in this area. Inspection ratings are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Unfortunately, we were not able to locate deficiency counts for this nursing home. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
This first-rate facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Nursing scores are primarily tied to a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Lasell House?
Long-term Care Quality
An additional strength for this nursing home was long-term care, where it received an A+ rating. This is flat out as good as it gets in this category. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to patients. Once we concluded our assessment of the amount of care provided by nurses, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia can be a dangerous condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a facility does not leave this to chance. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
In our final category, this nursing home was awarded another A+ for its short-term care rating, finishing off an amazing profile of A+'s in each of our categories. In forming these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The purpose is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lasell House Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lasell House, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lasell House, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lasell House, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents that suffered from a UTI. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lasell House, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many medical conditions, including dementia. Unfortunately, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lasell House, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lasell House, 2.48% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lasell House, 91.39% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lasell House, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lasell House, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between keeping patients out of the emergency room and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lasell House, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Newton-Wellesley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.51 miles away2014 Washington Street Newton Lower Falls Massachusetts 02462Voluntary non-profit - Other(617) 243-6000
- Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital - NeedhamAcute Care Hospitals 4.36 miles away148 Chestnut Street Needham Heights Massachusetts 02494Voluntary non-profit - Private(781) 453-3002
- St Elizabeth's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.17 miles away736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Proprietary(617) 789-3000
- Mount Auburn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away330 Mount Auburn Street Cambridge Massachusetts 02138Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 492-3500
- Brigham and Women's Faulkner HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.68 miles away1153 Centre Street Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 983-7000
- Brigham and Women's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.14 miles away75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 732-5500
- Beth Israel Deaconess Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.25 miles away330 Brookline Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 667-7000
- Boston Children's HospitalChildrens 7.29 miles away300 Longwood Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02115Voluntary non-profit - Private(617) 735-6000
- Wellesley Dialysis1.63 miles away195 Worcester Street Lower Level Wellesley Hills Massachusetts 02481Dialysis Stations: 18 (781) 431-1414
- The Dialysis Center at Waltham3.67 miles away135 Beaver Street, Suite 111 Waltham Massachusetts 02452Dialysis Stations: 14 (781) 642-0331
- Saint Elizabeth's Medical Center of Boston4.41 miles awayDialysis Unit - Ccp 7 736 Cambridge Street Brighton Massachusetts 02135Dialysis Stations: 17 (617) 789-2592
- Davita Northeast Cambridge Dialysis5.95 miles away799 Concord Avenue Cambridge Massachusetts 02138CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (617) 547-7700
- Davita Brookline Dialysis6.52 miles away322 Washington Street Brookline Massachusetts 02445CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (617) 734-7794
- Kidney Center6.94 miles away888 Commonwealth Avenue Boston Massachusetts 02215CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 739-3000
- Dci Brigham/Faulkner7.04 miles awayDci Brigham/Faulkner 1153 Centre Street, Belkin House Jamaica Plain Massachusetts 02130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (617) 983-4470
- Brigham and Women's Hospital8.04 miles awayDialysis Unit 75 Francis Street Boston Massachusetts 02115Dialysis Stations: 7 (617) 732-6130