Las Palmas Healthcare Center is one of four available nursing homes located in Mcallen, Texas. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of B-. A grade in this range requires some decent scores. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Mcallen. The best part of this nursing home's profile is its remarkable inspection grade. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Las Palmas Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Mcallen senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection grades are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This place was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's short-term care grade ended up being one of its better scores. The facility was given a grade of B- in this category. Short-term care grades are vital for people looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes higher levels of skilled nursing. This includes a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Las Palmas Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
The third best area we awarded this facility in any category came in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a C. If you are seeking anything other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each facility's long-term care scores. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Thankfully, this facility administered the vaccine to 99.65035 percent of its residents, which is an above average figure. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The next area we scored was nursing. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in that area. Our nursing score is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Las Palmas Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 5.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 2.1% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 8.7% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 15.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 0% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 99.12% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 25.1% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 25.48% of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 25.48% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 7.83% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 60.98% of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 3 other nursing homes
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center0.21 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC0.65 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen0.75 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis0.88 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen1.17 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic1.2 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen2.59 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center4.74 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208