Las Palmas Healthcare Center is one of eight available nursing homes located in Mcallen, Texas. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A grade in this range typically suggests some red flags. Unfortunately, this grade is not too far off the city grade for Mcallen, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still may be able to do better If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, feel free to continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Las Palmas Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this nursing home's overall grade, it actually received a very impressive inspection report this year. In fact, it received an excellent inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our best scores in that category with a grade of A-. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area ended up being its long-term care score, where it was given a C. For residents seeking a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this facility administered the vaccine to 99.62825 percent of its residents, which is a very solid figure. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Las Palmas Healthcare Center?
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. There are a host of criteria included in this grade. Many of the factors relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this place's nurse staffing levels were significantly below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This facility performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these datapoints to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was short-term care, which turned out to be a weak spot for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a grade of just D for our short-term care category. Our short-term care ratings are presumably most critical for those requiring rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation generally mandates higher levels of highly-skilled nursing. This means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other types of therapy. Based on its abysmal rating in this area, we weren't stunned to discover this nursing home offers substantially fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Finally, we assessed the number of patients that ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Las Palmas Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 7.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 3.28% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents that experienced a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 1.64% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have sustained urinary tract infections. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 11.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 22.77% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 4.66% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 94.73% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 17.29% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 18.08% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 1.58 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 18.08 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 11.87 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Las Palmas Healthcare Center, 66.73% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Mcallen, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Mcallen, Texas has 7 other nursing homes
- Rio Grande Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away101 E Ridge Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Proprietary(956) 632-6000
- Doctors Hospital at RenaissanceAcute Care Hospitals 4.62 miles away5501 South Mccoll Edinburg Texas 78539Physician(956) 362-8677
- Cornerstone Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.37 miles away2302 Cornerstone Boulevard Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 618-4444
- South Texas Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 5.61 miles away1102 W Trenton Road Edinburg Texas 78539Proprietary(956) 632-4484
- Mission Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away900 South Bryan Road Mission Texas 78572Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 323-9000
- Knapp Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.71 miles away1401 East Eight Street Weslaco Texas 78596Voluntary non-profit - Private(956) 968-8567
- Driscoll Children's Valley Dialysis Center0.21 miles away1120 East Ridge Road Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 4 (956) 688-1220
- Egonsa Dialysis, LLC0.65 miles away2500 South Jackson Rd Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 21 (956) 664-8251
- Valley Dialysis of Mcallen0.75 miles away2000 S. Cynthia Street Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 994-3374
- Usrc Mcallen Dialysis0.88 miles away1301 East Ridge Road Suite C Mcallen Texas 78503Dialysis Stations: 28 (956) 668-8484
- Dialysis Care of Mcallen1.17 miles away411 Lindberg Avenue Mcallen Texas 78501CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (956) 687-6701
- Fresenius Medical Care River Valley Clinic1.2 miles away433 W Sam Houston Blvd Pharr Texas 78577Dialysis Stations: 16 (956) 283-0646
- Fresenius Medical Care Mcallen2.59 miles away1325 East Quebec Mcallen Texas 78503CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 37 (956) 682-1259
- Fresenius Medical Care Edinburg Kidney Center4.74 miles away5406 South Jackson Road Edinburg Texas 78539CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (956) 668-1208