Las Flores Convalescent Hospital is a large nursing home located in Gardena, California. This nursing home received an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. Based on our assessment, this nursing home probably isn't a fit for anyone. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category was nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Las Flores Convalescent Hospital
Updated May 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
14165 Purche Ave.,
Gardena CA 90249
74.79% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Although this facility's overall grade was terrible, it actually didn't perform as badly in nursing. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that area. Nursing ratings are heavily correlated with quantity of nursing care available. With 4.1 hours of nursing care per patient each day, this nursing home surpassed the national average. We also look at the qualifications of nurses and add more weight to hours worked by skilled nurses. Lastly, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as minimizing major falls. This place performed admirably in this datapoint. Avoiding major falls is generally a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls can be prevented if a nursing home offers enough nurses to assist its patients.
Long-term Care Quality
We were also surprised to discover that this nursing home received a somewhat respectable long-term care rating in our assessment. We awarded it a grade of C in that category. Our long-term care grade assesses a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the highly skilled therapy or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 95.51451 percent of its residents, which is more than the average nursing home. Finally, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. Although it had 3.16 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, its risk adjusted score was not too far off the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Las Flores Convalescent Hospital?
We wanted to point out that this facility received an F for its inspection grade. An F in this category is very concerning because it usually points to red flags on the facility's inspections. When a place has this poor of an inspection score, you should expect some severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This facility was assessed multiple category G through L deficiencies, which rank among the more serious deficiencies. This generally indicates that the deficiencies uncovered by the government inspectors had potential to create actual harm to residents. Finally, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place received significant government fines in recent years of more than $50,000. This often indicates that inspectors became frustrated after multiple years of bad inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at is short-term care. This facility received an abysmal grade of F in this category. Short-term care grades are commonly used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Not surprisingly, we found that this nursing home provides far less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than the average facility. Finally, we considered the number of residents who ultimately returned home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 16.6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Las Flores Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 4.32% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 96.21% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Las Flores Convalescent Hospital, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Gardena, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Gardena, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.59 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.18 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.34 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Del Amo HospitalPsychiatric 6.51 miles away23700 Camino Del Sol Torrance California 90505Proprietary(310) 530-1151
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 9.74 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.35 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Davita-Hawthorne Dialysis1.3 miles away14204 Prairie Avenue Hawthorne California 90250CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (310) 349-1174
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo1.74 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis1.96 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - 190th3.02 miles away1149 W. 190th Street, Suite 1004 Gardena California 90248CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (310) 965-0830
- Davita-Airport Sunrise Dialysis Center3.14 miles away11300 Hawthorne Blvd Inglewood California 90304CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 56 (310) 680-0601
- u.s. Renal Care South Bay Dialysis3.19 miles away4450 182nd Street Redondo Beach California 90278Dialysis Stations: 15 (310) 542-8032
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center3.99 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Davita-Inglewood Dialysis3.99 miles away125 E. Arbor Vitae Inglewood California 90301CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 41 (310) 677-6114