Larchwood Village Retirement Community looks like it is one of a list of 48 nursing homes located in Cleveland, Ohio. The city has quite a few more options to choose from than most areas in the country. Featuring an overall grade of B, this looks like a fine option. This nursing home proved to be one of the better facilities in the city. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Larchwood Village Retirement Community
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Speech Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
This facility earned a strong overall score as discussed above, but we wanted to emphasize its excellent long-term care rating. We awarded them a grade of A- in this category. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours is vaccines. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 99.59677 percent of its patients. Vaccination is a proven method to avoid negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category grades, we gave this nursing home a grade of A- for inspections. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Larchwood Village Retirement Community?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to an additional strength for this nursing home, we awarded them one of our better grades in our short-term care category as well, with a B. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to grade a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to have quality rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to feature higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
The final area we assessed was nursing. This facility was awarded a C in this area. There are a number of data points within this area. Many of the data points relate to nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, although this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of our quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it did very well in this area.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Larchwood Village Retirement Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 20.26% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 90.12% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Larchwood Village Retirement Community, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's generally correlates with better rehabilitation services.
Scores for Cleveland, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Cleveland, Ohio has 47 other nursing homes
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.94 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.29 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.4 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 11.06 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.45 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis2.15 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West2.85 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern3.15 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Fmc - Lakewood Ohio Dialysis3.41 miles away13900 Detroit Avenue Lakewood Ohio 44107Dialysis Stations: 12 (216) 221-3034
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC4 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights4.08 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Davita - Parma Heights Dialysis4.73 miles away9050 North Church Drive Cleveland Ohio 44130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 842-0895
- Davita - Detroit Road Dialysis4.95 miles away7901 Detroit Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44102Dialysis Stations: 23 (216) 961-6498