With an address in Norfolk, Virginia, Lake Taylor Hospital is one of eight available facilities in the area. Sporting an overall score of A-, this nursing home is among the higher-rated nursing homes we assessed. We simply can not say enough favorable things about this place. You also may want to review this nursing home's category grades below. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
Lake Taylor Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1309 Kempsville Rd,
Norfolk VA 23502
76.92% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this proved to be a great facility is that it received a very impressive long-term care rating. In that area, we awarded this facility an A. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is usually a good sign for patient care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 99.518074 percent of its residents, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly can be a deadly condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was strong in the category of short-term care, where we awarded it a score of A-. Not many nursing homes received a better grade in this category. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a wide scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we considered the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 6 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Lake Taylor Hospital?
This facility has earned near flawless inspections in recent years. We awarded them an A- in this area. Our inspection ratings account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with higher scores in this area generally have few severe deficiencies. This place was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS did not consider any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Moving on to our fourth area, this facility was given an acceptable nursing score. Although this wasn't nearly as dominant as a few of its other grades, this is still not a major area of concern. Our nursing score analyzes the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of training of the nurses and the number of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides only 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a somewhat concerning figure as it is well below average. Lastly, nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lake Taylor Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 8.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 3.64% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are often caused by poor nursing care. Closer supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 2.55% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term patients that have had a UTI. Although a higher rate of these infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 13.56% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to patients for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 20.28% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 3.63% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 91.12% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 16.48% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 21.22% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 1.29 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 21.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 11.62 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lake Taylor Hospital, 75.54% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Norfolk, VA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Norfolk, Virginia has 7 other nursing homes
- Sentara Leigh HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.35 miles away830 Kempsville Road Norfolk Virginia 23502Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 261-6700
- Bon Secours Depaul Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.71 miles away150 Kingsley Lane Norfolk Virginia 23505Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 889-5000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 5.35 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 5.82 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.25 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Chesapeake General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.78 miles away736 Battlefield Blvd, North Chesapeake Virginia 23320Government - Hospital District or Authority(757) 312-8121
- Sentara Virginia Beach General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.67 miles away1060 First Colonial Road Virginia Beach Virginia 23454Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 395-8000
- Kempsville Home Dialysis1.38 miles away6161 Kempsville Cir Suite 155 Norfolk Virginia 23502Dialysis Stations: 2 (757) 461-9422
- Kempsville Dialysis Center1.53 miles away6320 North Center Dr Bldg 15 Ste 140 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (757) 466-9446
- Leigh Dialysis Center1.59 miles away420 N Center Dr Bldg 11 Ste 128 Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 455-0060
- Norfolk Dialysis Center1.92 miles away962 Norfolk Sq Norfolk Virginia 23502CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (757) 461-0501
- Stines Dialysis LLC2.73 miles away230 Clearfield Ave Ste 106 Virginia Beach Virginia 23462Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 518-9439
- Tidewater Renal Dialysis Center3.39 miles away5623 Tidewater Dr Norfolk Virginia 23509CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 855-2186
- Total Renal Care - Little Creek Dialysis3.47 miles away1817 E Little Creek Rd Ste A Norfolk Virginia 23518CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (757) 480-3780
- Fresenius Kidney Care Indian River3.56 miles away4303 Indian River Road Suite 26 Chesapeake Virginia 23325Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 361-0193