Lake Prince Woods is a small non-profit nursing home located in Suffolk, Virginia. It looks like this nursing home is one of the best facilities we assessed. A score of this caliber requires first-rate scores across the board. You flat out can't do any better than this nursing home. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category grades, which appear to be equally impressive as its overall score.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Lake Prince Woods
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Suffolk senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Suffolk, Virginia Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Suffolk, Virginia Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Virginia Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Suffolk, Virginia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a quality nursing home is that it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this critical category. Inspection scores are tied to datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area typically have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
To complement its top-shelf accomplishments in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A for our long-term care rating. For long-term care residents, the nursing home's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 92.537315 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a few points less than we expected but still a decent figure. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Lake Prince Woods?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care. Adding to its impressive resume, this facility also excelled in that category. In fact, we gave it a of A for the area. Short-term care grades are typically employed to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
In our final area, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our nursing rating. This completed a very favorable profile. When calculating our nursing scores, we look at both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a patient more often.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lake Prince Woods Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lake Prince Woods, 8.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lake Prince Woods, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lake Prince Woods, 2.25% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lake Prince Woods, 15.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating several medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lake Prince Woods, 19.63% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lake Prince Woods, 5.07% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lake Prince Woods, 88.92% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lake Prince Woods, 17.15% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and eating. Some experts argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lake Prince Woods, 18.14% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Lake Prince Woods, 1.38 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lake Prince Woods, 18.14 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lake Prince Woods, 12.25 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lake Prince Woods, 74.96% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Sentara Obici HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.19 miles away2800 Godwin Boulevard Suffolk Virginia 23439Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 934-4000
- Bon Secours Maryview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.39 miles away3636 High Street Portsmouth Virginia 23707Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 398-2200
- Nmc PortsmouthAcute Care - Department of Defense 17.83 miles away620 John Paul Jones Circle Portsmouth Virginia 23708Department of Defense(757) 953-5008
- Sentara Norfolk General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.16 miles away600 Gresham Dr Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Other(757) 388-3000
- Childrens Hospital of the Kings Daughters IncChildrens 18.38 miles away601 Children's Lane Norfolk Virginia 23507Voluntary non-profit - Private(757) 668-9647
- Southampton Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.75 miles away100 Fairview Drive - PO Box 817 Franklin Virginia 23851Proprietary(757) 569-6100
- Artificial Kidney Center - Suffolk2.1 miles away1005 Commercial Lane Suite 100 Suffolk Virginia 23434Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 934-0009
- Deowee Dialysis2.25 miles away3009 Corporate Lane Ste. 130 Suffolk Virginia 23434Dialysis Stations: 13 (757) 539-0618
- Total Renal Care - Harbor View Dialysis11.52 miles away1039 Champions Way Bldg H Ste 500 Suffolk Virginia 23435Dialysis Stations: 24 (757) 484-2814
- Fresenius Kidney Care North Suffolk11.87 miles away5140 River Club Dr. Ste 100 Suffolk Virginia 23435Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 483-2462
- Rai - South Church-Smithfield12.22 miles away1812-C S Church St Smithfield Virginia 23430Dialysis Stations: 15 (757) 365-4293
- Rai - Churchland-Chesapeake13.6 miles away5846 Churchland Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (757) 686-5770
- Rai - Airline-Portsmouth 725313.83 miles away3080 Airline Blvd Portsmouth Virginia 23701CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (757) 488-3590
- Davita - Greater Portsmouth15.6 miles awayDialysis Unit 3516 Queen St Portsmouth Virginia 23707CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (757) 397-2806