Lahser Hills Care Centre is a large nursing home located in Southfield, Michigan. This facility received a bottom of the barrel overall score based on the data we looked at. If you are not satisfied with this facility's rather poor overall grade, you will be pleased to know there are four other nursing homes in Southfield. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this place received a decent score in our nursing category. We provide more information about this category below.
Lahser Hills Care Centre
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Lahser Hills Care Centre has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this nursing home extremely poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable nursing rating this year. We gave it a B- in this area. Our nursing score is based on the facility's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This place provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other nursing homes. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Sadly, this nursing home only received a D for its short-term care grade, which happens to be one of its better category grades. Our short-term care ratings are considered to be most important for folks in need of a nursing home for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing means not only nursing, but also physical and speech therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. With its grade in this area, we were not surprised to discover that this place is well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that just 3.7 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Lahser Hills Care Centre?
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a place has this poor of an inspection grade, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This nursing home had 5 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they posed a risk to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we assessed was long-term care, in which this facility received a poor score here also. We gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is definitely a major concern. When facilities receive this kind of score in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for patient care and it may indicate that the nursing home is not as well-staffed. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We were a bit alarmed this facility administered the vaccine to just 64.42049 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Lahser Hills Care Centre Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents who have suffered a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 3.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts argue that this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 91.43% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the erosion of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is important for patients mental and physical health.
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to measure patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Lahser Hills Care Centre, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's generally correlates with successful rehabilitation services.
Scores for Southfield, MI
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of F
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Southfield, Michigan has 4 other nursing homes
- Ascension Providence HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.03 miles away16001 W Nine Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48075Voluntary non-profit - Church(248) 849-3011
- Beaumont Hospital - Farmington HillsAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away28050 Grand River Avenue Farmington Michigan 48336Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 471-8000
- Beaumont Hospital, Royal OakAcute Care Hospitals 4.57 miles away3601 W Thirteen Mile Rd Royal Oak Michigan 48073Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 898-5000
- Sinai-Grace HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away6071 W Outer Drive Detroit Michigan 48235Proprietary(313) 966-3300
- Henry Ford West Bloomfield HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away6777 West Maple Road West Bloomfield Michigan 48322Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 325-1000
- St Mary Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.15 miles away36475 Five Mile Road Livonia Michigan 48154Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 655-4800
- St Joseph Mercy OaklandAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away44405 Woodward Ave Pontiac Michigan 48341Voluntary non-profit - Private(248) 858-3000
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.28 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Davita - Riverwood Dialysis1.2 miles away24465 W 10 Mile Rd Southfield Michigan 48033Dialysis Stations: 16 (248) 352-3137
- Nw Detroit Dialysis - Lahser Satellite1.49 miles away25664 Lahser Road Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 358-7521
- Southfield West Dialysis of Davita2.06 miles away21900 Melrose Ave Suite #4 Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (248) 356-8079
- Davita - Greenview2.84 miles away18544 Eight Mile Road Southfield Michigan 48075Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 569-1729
- Fms Beaumont Health, LLC2.97 miles away26400 W 12 Mile Rd Ste 112 Southfield Michigan 48034CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (248) 228-8777
- Cornerstone Dialysis of Davita3.08 miles away23857 Greenfield Rd Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (248) 569-6111
- Davita Oak Park Dialysis3.22 miles away13481 W 10 Mile Rd Parkswoods Plaza Oak Park Michigan 48237Dialysis Stations: 20 (248) 582-9750
- Northwest Detroit Dialysis Center LLC3.47 miles away21000 Northwestern Hwy Southfield Michigan 48075CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (248) 557-7000