La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in La Jolla, California. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B. As far as we can see, this nursing home is a solid choice for most people. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card was its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next section
La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2552 Torrey Pines Rd,
La Jolla CA 92037
63.35% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Best Nursing Home in La Jolla, California Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in short-term care. We awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our best scores. In our short-term care rating, we try to create a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we assess the facility's scope of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of A. Our nursing rating weighs a handful of datapoints, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Another area of strength for this facility is in the area of inspections. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best categories. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this category tend to have few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the fourth category, this facility did not fare well. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in this category, this was notably this facility's worst grade. For prospective patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is higher than most nursing homes. Surprisingly, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents which developed new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents who have had urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 95.44% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry would argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' well-being.
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living generally correlates with superior rehabilitation services.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.67 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Fmc-La Jolla5.2 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center6.09 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego7.37 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis8.7 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego9.89 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North10.46 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.64 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Ucsd Dialysis Center10.75 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646