La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center is a large facility located in La Jolla, California. This turns out to be a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. As far as we can see, this nursing home is a solid choice for most people. The best part of this nursing home's impressive report card was its nursing score. Nursing grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on La Jolla senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in La Jolla, California Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed well in our nursing category. In fact, we awarded it an A for that category, which is one of our highest scores. Our nursing score is based on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of training of those nurses and the quantity of hours spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility performed well in the area of short-term care. As a result, we awarded it a score of A- for that area, which is one of our higher grades. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center?
Moving on to another of this nursing home's strengths, it also earned a very impressive inspection score. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best grades. In that area, we gave this facility an impressive grade of B+. Inspection scores are based on items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily something to panic about.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given an impressive long-term care score this year, with a grade of C. Even though this wasn't quite as good as some of its other scores, this remains a decent grade for that category. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for patients needing more traditional services related to personal care. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. This facility also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 10.77% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 1.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents who have had a fall resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.29% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 11.82% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are administered antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 9.97% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 3.99% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 100% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 4.43% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.96% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 6.96% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 18.81% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In La Jolla Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 85.18% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 2.75 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.58 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.36 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 9.82 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 10.67 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.91 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Fmc-La Jolla5.2 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-Balboa Kearny Mesa Dialysis Center6.09 miles away7927 Ostrow Street, Suite A San Diego California 92111CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (858) 571-0232
- Childrens Hospital of San Diego7.37 miles away3020 Childrens Way, Mc 5115 San Diego California 92123Dialysis Stations: 5 (858) 966-8882
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis8.7 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego9.89 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Home Dialysis Therapies of San Diego-North10.46 miles away10672 Wexford Street, Suite 250 San Diego California 92131Dialysis Stations: 1 (858) 549-3400
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis10.64 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Ucsd Dialysis Center10.75 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646