Located in La Habra, California, La Habra Convalescent Hospital is one of a mere two facilities in the city. With an A overall grade, we rated this nursing home in the top fifth of all facilities in the United States. We couldn't find many bad things to say about this facility. Its scores are as good as they get. One of the best aspects of this facility's exemplary report card is its long-term care grade. Long-term care grades are discussed in the next section.
La Habra Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to performing well in its overall score, this facility received an excellent long-term care grade. We gave it an impressive grade of A in that area. When nursing homes receive this kind of grade in this category it is usually a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is significantly higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, this turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our nursing score is primarily associated with a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about La Habra Convalescent Hospital?
This nursing home also excelled in the category of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few facilities performed better in this area. Our inspection scores are tied to many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
The fourth category we graded was short-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B+. This topped off a very impressive profile. Very few facilities received a B+ or better in every category. Our short-term care ratings are believed to be most meaningful for those needing rehabilitation from their nursing home. Rehabilitation typically utilizes higher levels of highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes not merely nursing services, but also physical and respiratory therapy, as well as other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
La Habra Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained UTI's. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 4.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 95.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and using the bathroom.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In La Habra Convalescent Hospital, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.94 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 5.68 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.08 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.5 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.63 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.07 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 8.62 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Davita La Habra Dialysis0.62 miles away1611 W Whittier Blvd La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 267-0430
- Quotidian Home Dialysis Clinic1.88 miles away511 S. Harbor Blvd, Suite T La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 2 (562) 694-8520
- Whittier Kidney Dialysis Center1.93 miles away16417 E. Whittier Blvd. Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (562) 947-8999
- Davita-Whittier Dialysis Center2.46 miles away10055 Whittwood Drive, Suite A Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 947-1808
- Davita-Bastanchury Dialysis3.17 miles away1950 Sunnycrest Dr Ste 1300 Fullerton California 92835CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 578-0015
- Davita-Brea Dialysis Center3.6 miles away595 Tamarack Avenue, Suites a & B Brea California 92821CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 990-0110
- Hacienda Dialysis Center4.35 miles away2020 S. Hacienda Blvd., Suite G Hacienda Heights California 91745Dialysis Stations: 19 (626) 968-9558
- Davta Rowland Heights Dialysis4.52 miles away17875 Colima Rd, Suite A Rowland Heights California 91748Dialysis Stations: 33 (626) 964-5849