Knollwood Nursing Center is a senior living facility located in Worcester, Massachusetts. The city has a total of 181,315 people. It looks like this nursing home is among the most impressive nursing homes we found. It was given one of the most impressive scores that we offer. In fact, this nursing home has the prestigious distinction of being one of the 50 best nursing homes in Massachusetts. Keep reading to find this nursing home's category scores, which also impressed us. You really can't do any better than a straight A report card.
Knollwood Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
87 Briarwood Circle,
Worcester MA 01606
96.7% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Best Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Worcester, Massachusetts Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Massachusetts Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Worcester, Massachusetts Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We also found that this nursing home excelled in our short-term care rating. We gave them an A+ in this category. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
This nursing home has earned near flawless health inspections in recent years. We gave them an impressive grade of A in this area. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Knollwood Nursing Center?
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving a patient at least once a day.
Long-term Care Quality
In the last category we graded, this facility was awarded a very strong grade of A- in our long-term care category. With this grade, the facility completed a straight A profile. Nursing homes that excel in this category tend to provide patients with closer supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. Once we assessed the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 95.736435 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is more than most nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Knollwood Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 3.77% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who experienced falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 2.05% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 19.24% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to residents for many conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 18.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients who are given antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 2.48% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 91.39% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 16.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 15.75% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels.
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 15.75 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 11.2 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Knollwood Nursing Center, 71.52% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term stay residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Worcester, MA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Worcester, Massachusetts has 8 other nursing homes
- Umass Memorial Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 2.85 miles away55 Lake Avenue North Worcester Massachusetts 01655Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 334-1000
- St Vincent HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.84 miles away123 Summer Street Worcester Massachusetts 01608Proprietary(508) 363-5000
- Marlborough HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.39 miles away157 Union Street Marlborough Massachusetts 01752Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 481-5000
- Health Alliance - Clinton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.64 miles away60 Hospital Road Leominster Massachusetts 01453Voluntary non-profit - Other(978) 466-2000
- Milford Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.73 miles away14 Prospect Street Milford Massachusetts 01757Voluntary non-profit - Other(508) 473-1190
- Metrowest Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.94 miles away115 Lincoln Street Framingham Massachusetts 01701Voluntary non-profit - Private(508) 383-1000
- Davita Pdi Worcester2.88 miles away19 Glennie Street Suite A Worcester Massachusetts 01605CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (508) 421-9539
- Freedom Center of Worcester2.89 miles away1 Innovation Drive Suite 110 Worcester Massachusetts 01605Dialysis Stations: 6 (508) 767-3950
- U-Mass Memorial Health Care Systems3.31 miles awayDialysis Unit 55 Lake Avenue North Rm h7-331 Worcester Massachusetts 01655Dialysis Stations: 13 (774) 442-3814
- University Dialysis Center (Bma of Shrewsbury)3.33 miles away239-243 Boston Turnpike Road Shrewsbury Massachusetts 01545Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 753-0886
- Davita Shrewsbury Street Dialysis3.56 miles away267 Shrewsbury Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (774) 530-6353
- Saint Vincent's Hospital4.27 miles awayHemodialysis Unit 123 Summer St, Suite 380 Worcester Massachusetts 01608Dialysis Stations: 12 (508) 363-9460
- Bio-Medical Applications of Massachusetts Inc4.9 miles away867 Grafton Street Worcester Massachusetts 01604Dialysis Stations: 16 (203) 387-9332
- Auburn Health LLC8.99 miles away771 South Bridge Street Suite 1 Auburn Massachusetts 01501Dialysis Stations: 16 (508) 832-3604