Knollwood Hsc is just one of 17 options in Washington, District of Columbia. This nursing home proved to be a grade A facility, which is a phenomenal score. In fact, this facility has the distinction of being one of the five best nursing homes in District of Columbia. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary report card is its nursing score, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Best Nursing Home in District of Columbia Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in District of Columbia Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in District of Columbia Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate profile, this nursing home also received a strong long-term care grade, with a grade of A. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 97.54601 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Knollwood Hsc?
Short-term Care Quality
Compounding its fine assessment, this nursing home also received a strong short-term care score, with a grade of A. In the area of short-term care, we try to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.1 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Lastly, this nursing home has earned near flawless inspections in recent years. We gave them an A- in this category. This is one of the few facilities in the nation to receive an A- or better in every category. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. This facility was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Knollwood Hsc Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Knollwood Hsc, 12.01% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable measure of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Knollwood Hsc, 1.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Knollwood Hsc, 1.57% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which sustained UTI's. UTI's may be a sign of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint can also be misleading for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Knollwood Hsc, 7.96% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Knollwood Hsc, 11.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Knollwood Hsc, 0.9% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Knollwood Hsc, 88.98% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Knollwood Hsc, 16.99% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Knollwood Hsc, 24.37% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In Knollwood Hsc, 0.94 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Knollwood Hsc, 24.37 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Knollwood Hsc, 6.11 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Knollwood Hsc, 66.15% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Washington, DC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Washington, District of Columbia has 16 other nursing homes
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 3.01 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 3.73 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Davita - Silver Spring1.89 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Howard University Dialysis Center, LLC1.9 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Tower Building Suite 1119b Washington District of Columbia 20060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (202) 865-7365
- Rai - Chillum-Washington2.22 miles away6411 Chillum Pl Nw Washington District of Columbia 20012CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 291-2191
- Holy Cross Hospital2.44 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Childrens National Medical Center2.84 miles awayChildrens Hosp Dialysis Unit Rm 3130 111 Michigan Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Dialysis Stations: 6 (202) 476-5148
- Fmc - Takoma Park2.86 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- Bma - Columbia Heights3.54 miles away106 Irving St Nw Ste 1400 Washington District of Columbia 20010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (202) 829-0060
- Bma - Northeast Washington3.69 miles away817 Varnum St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (202) 832-4481