Knollwood Hsc is just one of 17 options in Washington, District of Columbia. This nursing home proved to be a grade A facility, which is a phenomenal score. In fact, this facility has the distinction of being one of the five best nursing homes in District of Columbia. Headlining this nursing home's exemplary report card is its nursing score, which you can find in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to a phenomenal overall grade, this facility also received A+ nursing grade. Nursing scores are heavily correlated with quality and quantity of nursing care. This particular nursing home provided 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its first-rate profile, this nursing home also received a strong long-term care grade, with a grade of A. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination data. This facility vaccinated 96.27329 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Knollwood Hsc?
This facility also earned excellent government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our best grades in that category, with an A-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing our inspection ratings. One critical factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are relatively insignificant. This place received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
In our last area, this facility also was awarded an impressive short-term care grade, with a grade of A-. This finished off a first-rate profile. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the number of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 4.8 percent of this nursing home's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Knollwood Hsc Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Knollwood Hsc, 11.05% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers. We have found that pressure ulcers are an barometer of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Knollwood Hsc, 1.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Knollwood Hsc, 1.77% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be skewed for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Knollwood Hsc, 8.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Knollwood Hsc, 12.3% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Knollwood Hsc, 0.83% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Knollwood Hsc, 89.84% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Knollwood Hsc, 17.05% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Knollwood Hsc, 26.24% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Knollwood Hsc, 0.85 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Knollwood Hsc, 26.24 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Knollwood Hsc, 5.77 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Knollwood Hsc, 67.35% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Washington, DC
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Washington, District of Columbia has 16 other nursing homes
- Walter Reed National Military Med CenAcute Care - Department of Defense 3.01 miles away8901 Rockville Pike Bethesda Maryland 20889Department of Defense(301) 295-4000
- Holy Cross HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.32 miles away1500 Forest Glen Road Silver Spring Maryland 20910Voluntary non-profit - Church(301) 754-7000
- Suburban HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away8600 Old Georgetown Road Bethesda Maryland 20814Voluntary non-profit - Private(301) 896-2576
- Medstar Washington Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away110 Irving St Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 877-7000
- Children's Hospital NmcChildrens 3.73 miles away111 Michigan Ave, Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 476-5000
- Sibley Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.92 miles away5255 Loughboro Rd Nw Washington District of Columbia 20016Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 537-4680
- Howard University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.09 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20060Voluntary non-profit - Other(202) 745-6100
- Medstar Georgetown University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.24 miles away3800 Reservoir Rd Washington District of Columbia 20007Voluntary non-profit - Private(202) 784-3000
- Davita - Silver Spring1.89 miles away8040 Georgia Ave Ste 150 Silver Spring Maryland 20910CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (301) 608-8961
- Howard University Dialysis Center, LLC1.9 miles away2041 Georgia Ave Nw Tower Building Suite 1119b Washington District of Columbia 20060CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (202) 865-7365
- Rai - Chillum-Washington2.22 miles away6411 Chillum Pl Nw Washington District of Columbia 20012CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (202) 291-2191
- Holy Cross Hospital2.44 miles awayRenal Dialysis Unit 1500 Forest Glen Rd Silver Spring Maryland 20910Dialysis Stations: 14 (301) 754-7560
- Childrens National Medical Center2.84 miles awayChildrens Hosp Dialysis Unit Rm 3130 111 Michigan Ave Nw Washington District of Columbia 20010Dialysis Stations: 6 (202) 476-5148
- Fmc - Takoma Park2.86 miles away6495 New Hampshire Ave Ste Ll 100 Hyattsville Maryland 20783Dialysis Stations: 12 (301) 559-1040
- Bma - Columbia Heights3.54 miles away106 Irving St Nw Ste 1400 Washington District of Columbia 20010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 35 (202) 829-0060
- Bma - Northeast Washington3.69 miles away817 Varnum St Ne Washington District of Columbia 20017CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (202) 832-4481