Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation is a senior living facility located in San Rafael, California, a city with a total of 70,197 people. It looks like this is a fine nursing home. We awarded it an overall grade of B, which is a very solid rating. We found this facility to be better than the majority of the nursing homes in San Rafael, which has a city grade of B-. One of the better aspects of this facility's profile is its strong short-term care score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Rafael senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall score, we gave this facility an impressive grade of A for our short-term care grade. In the category of short-term care, we seek to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 7.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this nursing home also received a score of B for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this category. When nursing homes receive this type of score in this category it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is very impressive. Pneumonia tragically can be a deadly condition for nursing home patients so we like it when a nursing home doesn't take any chances. Finally, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. Nursing grades are based largely on levels of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Turning to the last category of inspections, this was not one of this nursing home's better grades. Inspection grades are based on a facility's recent inspection reports. We gave this facility a C in this category. These inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This place was assessed 7 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in category J, K or L. This means that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to put patient health or safety in immediate harm or jeopardy. In the bigger picture, this inspection report definitely could be much worse.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 1.37% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which developed pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this statistic could be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 19.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 20.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 7.06% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 98.91% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 6.85% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 7.34% of Residents
This is the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 7.34% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 13.14% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Smith Ranch Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation, 88.53% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for San Rafael, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? San Rafael, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away99 Montecillo Rd San Rafael California 94903Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 444-2000
- Marinhealth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.96 miles away250 Bon Air Road, PO Box 8010 Greenbrae California 94904Government - Local(415) 925-7900
- Novato Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.77 miles away180 Rowland Way Novato California 94945Voluntary non-profit - Other(415) 209-1300
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital and Rehab CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.67 miles away975 Sereno Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Other(707) 651-1000
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.95 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San FranciscoAcute Care Hospitals 17.18 miles away2425 Geary Blvd San Francisco California 94115Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 833-2646
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.19 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Sutter Solano Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.2 miles away300 Hospital Dr Vallejo California 94589Voluntary non-profit - Private(707) 554-5280
- Northgate Dialysis Center1.32 miles away650 Las Gallinas Road San Rafael California 94903CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (415) 444-0376
- San Rafael Dialysis3.32 miles away1415 3rd Street San Rafael California 94901Dialysis Stations: 24 (415) 453-4437
- Satellite Dialysis Greenbrae5.78 miles away565 Sir Francis Drake Blvd. Greenbrae California 94904CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (415) 924-8622
- San Pablo Dialysis Center10.93 miles away14020 San Pablo Avenue San Pablo California 94806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (510) 234-0835
- Davita Richmond Dialysis11.54 miles away4200 Macdonald Ave., Ste A Richmond California 94805CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 236-8861
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center13.62 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590
- Davita El Sobrante14.22 miles away3380 San Pablo Dam Rd Ste. C-D El Sobrante California 94803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 262-9230
- Carquinez Dialysis Center15.73 miles away125 Corporate Place Suite C Vallejo California 94590CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (707) 556-3637