Located in Walnut Creek, California, Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley is one of five available facilities in this city. This nursing home proved to be an A+ rated facility, which is our most impressive rating. In fact, this nursing home has the distinction of being one of the 50 best facilities in California. As you will find below, this facility performed equally well in our category grades. We give this place two thumbs up!
Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Adding to this facility's impressive resume, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection ratings are tied to datapoints found on the a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a very strong short-term care grade. This actually is this facility's third best category grade. In that area, this facility received a score of A. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a nursing home's rehabilitation services In order to have highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
The last area we analyzed was nursing, where this facility was awarded an A. This rounded out a very strong profile. Few facilities received an A- or higher in all four categories. The nursing grade assesses a handful of components, many of which are associated with nursing hours. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 95.72% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were able to retain mobility. Many argue that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation-Ygnacio Valley, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Walnut Creek, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Walnut Creek, California has 4 other nursing homes
- John Muir Medical Center - Walnut Creek CampusAcute Care Hospitals 0.19 miles away1601 Ygnacio Valley Rd Walnut Creek California 94598Voluntary non-profit - Other(925) 939-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Walnut CreekAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away1425 S Main Street Walnut Creek California 94596Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 295-4000
- John Muir Medical Center - Concord CampusAcute Care Hospitals 4.92 miles away2540 East St Concord California 94520Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 682-8200
- John Muir Behavioral Health CenterPsychiatric 5.07 miles away2740 Grant Street Concord California 94524Voluntary non-profit - Private(925) 674-4101
- Contra Costa Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away2500 Alhambra Avenue Martinez California 94553Government - Local(925) 370-5000
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.65 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 12.09 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.68 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Fmc Diablo Walnut Creek1.12 miles away365 Lennon Lane #160 Walnut Creek California 94598Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 947-4545
- Walnut Creek at Home1.47 miles away400 N Wiget Lane Walnut Creek California 94598Dialysis Stations: 3 (925) 979-9732
- Walnut Creek Dialysis1.47 miles away404 North Wiget Lane Walnut Creek California 94598CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (925) 937-0203
- Walnut Creek West Dialysis Center2.73 miles away1221 Rossmoor Pkwy Walnut Creek California 94595Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 295-9830
- Fkc San Miguel3.67 miles away2731 Systron Drive Suite 100 Concord California 94518Dialysis Stations: 25 (925) 676-6401
- Fmc Diablo Concord4.19 miles away508 Contra Costa Blvd #D Pleasant Hill California 94523CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (925) 798-8844
- Concord Dialysis Center8.55 miles away2300 Stanwell Drive Suite C Concord California 94520CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (925) 677-7492
- Delta View Dialysis Center11.32 miles away1150 E Leland Road Pittsburg California 94565CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (925) 427-0867