Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill is in the large metropolitan area of Oakland, California with a population of 381,459 people. It looks like this is a very good facility. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong score. Based on the data we reviewed, you could do much worse than this facility. This place is stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ long-term care grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. After considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on its inspections. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for that category. Our inspection ratings are tied to many items located in the a nursing home's government inspections. Facilities that excel in this category tend to have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This facility received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This means that the inspectors didn't consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill?
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a grade of B for its nursing rating. This is a well above average score in this category. There are quite a few criteria within this area. Many of these factors reflect nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed is short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of C. Even though this ended up being its least impressive category rating, this is nevertheless not the end of the world. Our short-term care grades are based on the nursing home's quantity of skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. It does not appear that this facility submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The last statistic we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents who developed pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that have sustained falls which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents which have suffered from a UTI. UTI's may be an indication of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term care patients which are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients health.
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kindred Nursing and Rehabilitation - Medical Hill, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Oakland, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Oakland, California has 16 other nursing homes
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.25 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 0.62 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.35 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.33 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 2.71 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.88 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.38 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Rai Peralta0.12 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland0.28 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Rai Piedmont1.36 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.6 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.45 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Us Renal Care Berkeley2.81 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Berkeley Dialysis Center2.97 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Rai - East Bay - Oakland3.48 miles away2628 International Blvd, Ste 100 Oakland California 94601CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 261-8219