Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf is located in Brea, California, a city with a population of 39,146 people. This turns out to be a highly rated facility, with an overall grade of B+. We also want to point out that this nursing home is located in a hospital. Typically, this indicates that more intensive medical services are offered. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which you can find in the next section.
Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this turned out to be a quality facility is that it received a very impressive inspection grade. Inspections turned out to be its best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an A. Arguably the most important factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with better scores in this category typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility fared well in the category of short-term care. As a result, we gave it a score of A- for that category, which happens to be one of our best scores. In the category of short-term care, we seek to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We analyze a facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of A- for our nursing grade. Our nursing rating focuses on the facility's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of licensure of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided 0.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This place performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care. This nursing home was given a better than average long-term care rating in our assessment, with a C. Even though this isn't nearly as elite as many of its other category grades, this remains a respectable score in that category. In computing our long-term care scores, we scrutinize the personal care received by the facility's residents. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. This nursing home also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients that sustained falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kindred Hospital Brea D/P Snf, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- St Jude Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.37 miles away101 E Valencia Mesa Drive Fullerton California 92835Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 992-3000
- Placentia Linda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.44 miles away1301 N Rose Drive Placentia California 92870Proprietary(714) 993-2000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Orange County - AnaheAcute Care Hospitals 6.23 miles away3440 E La Palma Ave Anaheim California 92806Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 279-4000
- Ahmc Anaheim Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.36 miles away1111 W La Palma Avenue Anaheim California 92801Voluntary non-profit - Private(714) 774-1450
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 9.22 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.41 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.61 miles away1100 West Stewart Dr Orange California 92868Voluntary non-profit - Church(714) 633-9111
- Davita-Brea Dialysis Center1.22 miles away595 Tamarack Avenue, Suites a & B Brea California 92821CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (714) 990-0110
- Quotidian Home Dialysis Clinic2.54 miles away511 S. Harbor Blvd, Suite T La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 2 (562) 694-8520
- Davita-Crossroads Dialysis Center3.11 miles away3214 Yorba Linda Blvd. Fullerton California 92831CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (714) 577-6940
- Davita-Bastanchury Dialysis3.49 miles away1950 Sunnycrest Dr Ste 1300 Fullerton California 92835CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 578-0015
- Davita La Habra Dialysis4.06 miles away1611 W Whittier Blvd La Habra California 90631Dialysis Stations: 37 (562) 267-0430
- Davta Rowland Heights Dialysis4.36 miles away17875 Colima Rd, Suite A Rowland Heights California 91748Dialysis Stations: 33 (626) 964-5849
- Davita-Fullerton Dialysis5.57 miles away238 Orangefair Mall Fullerton California 92832CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (714) 447-3045
- Whittier Kidney Dialysis Center5.6 miles away16417 E. Whittier Blvd. Whittier California 90603CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (562) 947-8999