Kern River Transitional Care is a large nursing home in Bakersfield, California. Our rating system was not favorable to this nursing home, as we gave it an overall rating of F. In our view, you would be better off to avoid of this nursing home. Finally, we were surprised to learn that this nursing home received a decent grade in the area of long-term care. You can find additional information on this category below.
Kern River Transitional Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
5151 Knudsen Drive,
Bakersfield CA 93308
97.57% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was as bad as it gets, it actually didn't perform terribly in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a B- for that category, which is one of our better scores. We would argue that one of the most important factors in assessing an inspection report is deficiencies. In this regard, we especially focus on the severity of the deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies are not the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's second highest category was long-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this category, it still fared somewhat badly. If you are looking for services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Kern River Transitional Care?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed is short-term care, in which this facility was given an F. Our short-term care scores are vital for residents needing rehabilitation. Rehabilitation generally utilizes additional highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing means a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Considering its score in this category, we were not stunned to find that this place is well below average in terms of the number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the data we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected to find. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely wasn't a strength for this facility. We found that just 4.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
The final category we rated is nursing. We gave it an abysmal F in this area, which is a bottom of the barrel score. Our nursing rating is mostly associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. With just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily, this place's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below average. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This facility fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these data points to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kern River Transitional Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kern River Transitional Care, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure measures the percent of long-term stay residents which are suffering from pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kern River Transitional Care, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who suffered falls leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be a sign of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kern River Transitional Care, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients which have experienced urinary tract infections. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare between facilities due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kern River Transitional Care, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used to treat several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kern River Transitional Care, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally given to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kern River Transitional Care, 5.83% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who are demonstrating signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kern River Transitional Care, 95.65% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kern River Transitional Care, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kern River Transitional Care, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Kern River Transitional Care, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kern River Transitional Care, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kern River Transitional Care, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kern River Transitional Care, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Bakersfield, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of C
Looking for more options? Bakersfield, California has 7 other nursing homes
- Bakersfield Heart HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.72 miles away3001 Sillect Avenue Bakersfield California 93308Proprietary(661) 316-6000
- Adventist Health BakersfieldAcute Care Hospitals 2.77 miles away2615 Chester Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 395-3000
- Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.9 miles away2215 Truxtun Avenue Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Other(661) 632-5000
- Bakersfield Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away420 34th St Bakersfield California 93301Voluntary non-profit - Private(661) 327-1792
- Kern Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away1700 Mount Vernon Avenue Bakersfield California 93306Government - Hospital District or Authority(661) 326-2000
- Fmc-Meadows Field1.9 miles away3101 Pegasus Drive, Suite 100 Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 21 (661) 615-4200
- Davita-Riverlakes Home Training2.08 miles away3933 Coffee Road, Suite A Bakersfield California 93308Dialysis Stations: 7 (661) 588-2326
- Davita-Bakersfield Dialysis Center2.75 miles away5143 Office Park Drive Bakersfield California 93309CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 76 (661) 325-4741
- Davita-Bakersfield Oak St Dialysis3.3 miles away422 Oak Street Bakersfield California 93304CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (661) 631-0227
- Davita-Brimhall Dialysis3.31 miles away8501 Brimhall Road, Bldg. 500 Bakersfield California 93312CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (661) 387-6603
- Davita-Casa Del Rio Home Training3.42 miles away8331 Brimhall Road Building 900, Suite 902 Bakersfield California 93312Dialysis Stations: 8 (661) 387-6405
- Fmc-Bakersfield4.97 miles away8625 Liberty Park Drive, Suite 102 Bakersfield California 93311CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 664-0158
- Fmc-Bakersfield Northeast5.79 miles away3201 Mall View Road Bakersfield California 93306CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (661) 873-7918