Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center is located in Kansas City, Kansas, a city with a population of 150,224 people. Featuring an overall grade of B, this nursing home is a quality option. Based on our analysis, you can do much worse than this facility. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection rating, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Kansas City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Dialysis Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its favorable overall grade, we awarded this place a grade of A- for the area of inspections. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category usually have few of these severe deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report. Overall, this is still a good inspection report, but we'd always recommend looking into any deficiencies you find troubling.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is a well above average grade in this area. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 79.83871 percent of its patients, which is a bit less than we were hoping for. Although its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, we were pleased to find facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B. In computing our nursing scores, we factor in both nursing hours and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the final category, this facility was awarded an acceptable short-term care grade of C. In forming our short-term care scores, we quantify the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. We were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last metric we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 6.5% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls which result in injury are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 3.56% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 18.09% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 22% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally given to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 5.66% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 91.03% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 16.97% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 17 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kaw River Care & Rehabilitation Center, 12.31 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- Providence Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.22 miles away8929 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66112Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 596-4000
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Overland Park Reg Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 9.62 miles away10500 Quivira Road Lenexa Kansas 66215Proprietary(913) 541-5000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.21 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 12.2 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 12.92 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Truman Medical Center Hospital HillAcute Care Hospitals 13.09 miles away2301 Holmes Street Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 404-1000
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.14 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Wyandotte West Dialysis5.31 miles away11014 Haskell Ave Kansas City Kansas 66109CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 721-9780
- Rai - Parallel Parkway - Kansas City Dialysis6.9 miles away6401 Parallel Parkway Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (913) 299-1044
- Lenexa Dialysis7.25 miles away8630 Halsey Lenexa Kansas 66215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (913) 894-1100
- Wyandotte County Dialysis, L L C7.8 miles away5001 State Ave Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (913) 287-5724
- Johnson County Dialysis8.14 miles away10453 W 84th Terrace Overland Park Kansas 66214CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (913) 492-2044
- Fkc - Lenexa8.43 miles away13201 W 98th St Lenexa Kansas 66215Dialysis Stations: 13 (913) 492-4571
- Wyandotte Central Dialysis8.76 miles away3737 State Avenue # 100 Kansas City Kansas 66102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (913) 233-0536
- Concerto Kansas, LLC9.38 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063