With an address in Honolulu, Hawaii, Kalakaua Gardens is one of six facilities there. It looks like this nursing home is among the more impressive nursing homes we assessed. A score in this range requires first-rate scores across the board. This grade is higher than the city grade of A- in Honolulu, which is also an impressive grade. This nursing home's strong report card was highlighted by its short-term care score, which you can find in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Honolulu senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2020
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a strong nursing home overall, this nursing home also excelled in the area of short-term care, where it received a grade of A+. Few facilities fared better in this category. Short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. We found that 7.4 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility received an impressive grade of A in our nursing category. Nursing ratings are primarily associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a protocol of moving a patient more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Kalakaua Gardens?
This facility also performed well in our inspection category, which is based on the nursing home's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it an impressive grade of B+ for that category, which is one of our highest grades. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B. Even though this turned out to be its weakest category grade, this is still an above average grade. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 98.64865 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kalakaua Gardens Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kalakaua Gardens, 5.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kalakaua Gardens, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients which have had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kalakaua Gardens, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kalakaua Gardens, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kalakaua Gardens, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kalakaua Gardens, 1.74% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kalakaua Gardens, 95.43% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kalakaua Gardens, 13.21% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and using the bathroom. Some argue this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kalakaua Gardens, 18.67% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kalakaua Gardens, 18.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kalakaua Gardens, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kalakaua Gardens, 76.75% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients that experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 5 other nursing homes
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 0.62 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.34 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.87 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.76 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 6.41 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 7.26 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis0.48 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Dsi Kapahulu Dialysis Center1.67 miles away750 Palani Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 732-7702
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana1.98 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center2.65 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Kaimuki Dialysis2.66 miles away3625 Harding Avenue Honolulu Hawaii 96816CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 735-2585
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center2.89 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility3.03 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Dsi - Windward Dialysis Center7.55 miles away45-480 Kaneohe Bay Drive #d09 Kaneohe Hawaii 96744CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 235-0885