Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center is one of eight available facilities in San Leandro, California. Featuring an overall score of A+, this nursing home is ranked among the highest-rated nursing homes we found. In fact, this is the best nursing home in San Leandro. Finally, this turned out to be a very consistent facility with consistent scores in all of our categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- No Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Although this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing rating. This proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home an A+. Our nursing rating consists of many datapoints, but the main one is the quantity of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 1.7 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on our third category, we awarded this facility a grade of A for its short-term care score. This is a dominant score. In our short-term care category, we seek to forge a sound barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. We were pleased to find that this nursing home employs both registered nurses and physical therapists. The same can't be said for all nursing homes. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to the next category, this nursing home also performed well in our long-term care category. We awarded it an A- in this category. This wrapped up truly elite report card. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After assessing the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 75 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is slightly lower than we were hoping for but still a respectable percentage. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of lower quality nursing care. However, this metric could also be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kaiser Permanente Post-Acute Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for San Leandro, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? San Leandro, California has 7 other nursing homes
- San Leandro HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.46 miles away13855 E 14th Street San Leandro California 94578Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 357-6500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - San LeandroAcute Care Hospitals 3.56 miles away2500 Merced Street San Leandro California 94577Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 454-1000
- St Rose HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.29 miles away27200 Calaroga Ave Hayward California 94545Voluntary non-profit - Church(510) 782-6200
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.44 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- San Ramon Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away6001 Norris Canyon Road San Ramon California 94583Proprietary(925) 275-9200
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.13 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Washington HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.75 miles away2000 Mowry Ave Fremont California 94538Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 797-1111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - FremontAcute Care Hospitals 12.3 miles away39400 Paseo Padre Pkwy Fremont California 94538Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 784-4000
- East Bay Peritoneal Dialysis0.93 miles away13939 E 14th Street Ste 110 San Leandro California 94578Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 614-1380
- San Leandro Dialysis1.17 miles away15555 East 14th Street Suite 520 San Leandro California 94578CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 317-6510
- Hayward Dialysis Center2.28 miles away21615 Hesperian Boulevard Suite F Hayward California 94541CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (510) 780-9094
- South Hayward Dialysis Center2.55 miles away254 Jackson Street Hayward California 94544CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 583-1255
- Satellite Dialysis West San Leandro3.46 miles away2401 Merced St Suite 110 San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 746-3900
- San Leandro Marina Dialysis Center3.49 miles away2551 Merced St San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 352-1207
- Satellite Dialysis San Leandro3.75 miles away801 Davis Street San Leandro California 94577CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (510) 352-4011
- Rai E. 14th4.31 miles away198 East 14th St San Leandro California 94577Dialysis Stations: 21 (510) 430-8311