Kadima at Luzerne is a small nursing home located in Drums, Pennsylvania. With a terrible overall grade of F, this facility isn't high on our list. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Drums. We would not blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Kadima at Luzerne
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Drums senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were category G through L deficiencies. This means it dodged the more ominous classes of deficiencies. Unfortunately, we also need to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received some government fines in recent years.
Turning to the area of nursing care, this facility received a grade of just D in this category. Unfortunately, this ended up being one of its better grades. Our nursing grade is primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home offered a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Does this page answer your questions about Kadima at Luzerne?
Short-term Care Quality
Tragically, we gave this facility an F for its short-term care score. In forming these short-term care grades, we look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The objective is to formulate a scale for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. As you might expect, we found that this facility offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical nursing home. The final measure we assessed in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.9 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar metrics sunk this facility's short-term care score.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the fourth area, this facility really did not fare well in this area either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is really as as uninspiring as it gets. Nursing homes that do not score well in this category often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be struggling in some of the areas of routine personal care we assessed. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home administered the vaccine to a relatively low 88.288284 percent of its patients, which is slightly concerning. To our surprise, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Kadima at Luzerne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Kadima at Luzerne, 13.51% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Kadima at Luzerne, 1.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that suffered from a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Kadima at Luzerne, 3.88% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Kadima at Luzerne, 33.72% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term care residents who are prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Kadima at Luzerne, 14.55% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents which are administered antianxiety drugs. These medications are typically given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Kadima at Luzerne, 1.03% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Kadima at Luzerne, 91.42% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Kadima at Luzerne, 35.19% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Kadima at Luzerne, 27.43% of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Kadima at Luzerne, 27.43% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Kadima at Luzerne, 3.35% of Patients
Measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Kadima at Luzerne, 71.76% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Lehigh Valley Hospital - HazletonAcute Care Hospitals 6.94 miles away700 East Broad Street Hazleton Pennsylvania 18201Government - Local(570) 501-4000
- Berwick Hospital CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.13 miles away701 East 16th Street Berwick Pennsylvania 18603Proprietary(570) 759-5020
- Wilkes-Barre General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.33 miles away575 North River Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18764Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 829-8111
- St Luke's Miners Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.04 miles away360 W Ruddle Street Coaldale Pennsylvania 18218Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 645-2131
- Geisinger Wyoming Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.41 miles away1000 East Mountain Boulevard Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18711Voluntary non-profit - Private(570) 826-7300
- St Luke's Hospital-Gnaden Huetten CampusAcute Care Hospitals 19.15 miles away211 North 12th Street Lehighton Pennsylvania 18235Voluntary non-profit - Private(607) 377-1300
- The Kidney Center of Greater Hazleton4.6 miles away426 Airport Road 2 Beltway Commons Hazleton Pennsylvania 18202Dialysis Stations: 21 (570) 450-0870
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Hazleton8.07 miles away110 Butler Drive Hazleton Pennsylvania 18201Dialysis Stations: 12 (570) 454-3558
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Nanticoke10.68 miles away450 West Main Street Nanticoke Pennsylvania 18634Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 740-4820
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Berwick14.3 miles away301 Market Street Berwick Pennsylvania 18603Dialysis Stations: 13 (570) 752-9180
- Bio-Medical Applications of Pennsylvania, Inc.15.98 miles away309 Laird Street Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18702Dialysis Stations: 4 (570) 822-1280
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Wilkes Barre15.98 miles away307 Laird Street, Suite 1 Wilkes Barre Pennsylvania 18702CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (570) 825-9531
- Etowah Dialysis LLC17.22 miles away1215 East Broad Street Tamaqua Pennsylvania 18252Dialysis Stations: 8 (570) 668-3480
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Carbon County19.5 miles away168 S. Sargent Stanley Hoffman Boulevard Lehighton Pennsylvania 18235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (610) 379-0330