Joshua Tree Care Center is one of just two available nursing homes in North Olmsted, Ohio. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires favorable scores in most areas. Based on our assessment, this place looks like a solid choice for quite a few people. The best part of this place's report card was is its long-term care score. We discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Joshua Tree Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in North Olmsted, Ohio Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this facility received even higher grades in the area of long-term care. It received one of our best scores in that area with an impressive grade of A-. Nursing homes that receive this kind of grade in long-term care typically provide consistent around the clock care to ensure patients are well cared for. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Adding to its impressive grades, we gave this nursing home an A- for inspections. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies are quite minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Joshua Tree Care Center?
This facility is also strong in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. Our nursing grade includes a variety of factors. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spend with patients. This facility provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed is short-term care, where this facility was awarded a B-. This was this facility's weakest area. This is still nothing to be ashamed of. Short-term care ratings are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that were able to return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Joshua Tree Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents which had falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint could be misleading for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term stay patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and taking a bath. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Joshua Tree Care Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.39 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.8 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.92 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 12.23 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Lutheran HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.41 miles away1730 West 25th Street Cleveland Ohio 44113Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 696-4300
- St Vincent Charity Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.14 miles away2351 East 22nd Street Cleveland Ohio 44115Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 861-6200
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.91 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 16.87 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Davita - Villa of Great Northern2.78 miles away22710 Fairview Center Dr., Ste 100 Cleveland Ohio 44126Dialysis Stations: 7 (440) 734-4630
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC3.15 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center3.74 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Center for Dialysis Care Middleburg Heights4.89 miles away6749 Eastland Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 234-3916
- Davita - Hilliard Dialysis6.05 miles away19133 Hilliard Blvd Rocky River Ohio 44116CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (216) 712-4700
- Davita - Middleburg Heights Dialysis6.36 miles away7360 Engle Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Dialysis Stations: 24 (440) 891-5645
- Fmc - Cleveland Clinic West6.74 miles away14670 Snow Road Brookpark Ohio 44142CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (216) 267-1451
- Davita - Center Ridge Dialysis6.99 miles away38630 Center Ridge Road North Ridgeville Ohio 44039Dialysis Stations: 14 (440) 327-2070